Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Our first visit

Hi everyone. Looking for ideas on where to stay and what to see. My hubby and I are staying for 3 nights in a hotel in Argyl but want to take 3 days getting there and 3 days getting home to Cheshire. Do you have ideas on best places please. Thanks in advance.x

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Could you be more specific on where in Argyll your hotel would be? And could you also mention if you've been to Scotland before and if you open to a longer detour to see a city for a full day? (like Edinburgh)
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• SissSiss Member
    Staying at Portsonachan Hotel on the banks of Loch Awe, need suggestions on b&bs or small hotels along west coast, only for 1or2 nights at a time, eating places if not in stay places. Thank you
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I have a few recommendations for nice places on the route that should have good food and stay options: a night in Lake District (Grasmere), a night in Yorkshire Dales (Settle perhaps), a night in Wanlockhead (Scotland's highest village or nearby) and a night in either New Galloway (for the Galloway Dark Sky park, highly recommended) or Lanark (for the Falls of Clyde and world heritage village).

The one food place that I personally would not miss on the route is Loch Fyne oysters in Cairndow followed by a pint at the nearby Fyne Ales (for non drivers of course). Two of Scotland's top food and drink quite close to each other. Nothing else jumps out at me of note. Maybe a stop at the Tunnock's factory tearoom, stock up on those delicious Dark Chocolate teacakes that are so hard to find south of the border.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)