Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

What to see and do in 2018?

LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
So I’m trying to beat the dreaded January blues by daydreaming of new places to see in Scotland and pass the dark nights by planning new things but I’m wondering what your favourite things to do or see in Scotland are? 
What has been your favourite experience or thing to do in Scotland so far? 
I have been lucky to visit a couple of the islands (Mull, Rum, Lewis and Harris) and travelled a lot of the mainland.. but have you got a particular favourite place to visit, road to drive, mountain to climb or even little cafe to have a coffee and relax at.. I would love to hear some of your thoughts.. 

Instagram.com/Lochgmarcp @lochgmarcp

Comments

• MoFMoF Member ✭✭
    I personally loved Islay, and we are going back in September almost immediately upon returning I'd planned out and paid for RT airfare and for the house we stayed at for a whole week.  The pace of life out there is just so laid back, the friendliness and the beaches everywhere.  Not to mention the Whisky.  It just a very unique place.  Standing on the Oa, and seeing the Mainland Kintyre, and Antrim, NI is pretty amazing as well. 

I guess the mid winter blues got to me pretty hard.  I'm wanting to brag about it.. and encourage people to go.. but I know Islay isn't for everyone.
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    My personal favourite has to be camping at Arisaig. I spent the entire evening taking photos, watching birds and being a beach bum. It is Scotland at its best, raw and unspoilt. Thank God there wasn't a seafood restaurant / wee pub right on the beach, then I'd never leave.

This year, I am hoping to do more beach combing on Harris outside of my many Edinburgh visits.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @MoF aw amazing! I would love to go to Islay! It’s just across the water from where I stay but I haven’t made it yet! I did go to Jura once but must admit it was for a birthday and after the distillery’s I don’t really remember much hehe! Though a trip back for the deer rut this year is on the cards! I may have to add Islay onto the list for that trip and try see what it has to offer :smile:
    @Horizons I’ll have to agree with you on that one, Arisaig is stunning and such a beautiful drive to get there! It’s a very peaceful corner of Scotland! Love your photo too! I would love to get back to Harris as well, it’s a hauntingly beautiful place! 
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @Lochgmarcp your IG has some exquisite shots (just dropped a follow)! What is your single favourite place in Scotland?
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• MoFMoF Member ✭✭
    @Lochgmarcp During my Dec visit I didn't make it over to Jura although the Paps are hard to miss on Islay. Here they are right here from inside the old cooperage during a cask tasting at Caol Ila, those windows seem intentionally placed don't they?

Two days wasn't really enough heck it was barely enough for a laid back overview of Islay, a day up north and a day in the south. 

It still confounds me a little that you can go directly to Jura at times without going via Port Askaig. I do know there is a summer ferry from the mainland. 

I am planning on making it over to Jura this go around, we will have the time.

@Horizons thank you very much, I’m glad you like them! That’s a very difficult question for me to answer, I have many favourite places for different reasons! I loved Harris, a truly stunning place that I’ll head back to this year, and some of my most memorable moments have been spent upon the mountains, but if I had to choose I guess it would be from my favourite viewpoint looking towards Ben Cruachan, it’s from one of my worksites in the forests and isn’t easily accessible unless you are prepared for a hefty hike across rough ground.. but the view never disappoints :smile:
    @MoF now that is a well placed window :smiley: what a view! There is a foot passenger ferry during the summer months that runs from Tayvallich, I cycled there and took the bike with me for my trip, very reasonably priced and a fast trip :smiley:
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @Lochgmarcp my favourite last year was the Arran Coastal Way! Even though the weather wasn't very nice to us some days, it was still an unforgettable journey. Tough going too.

The ever-changing coastline is rugged and peaceful with the sounds of nature. Every day was either rain in the morning, sunshine in the afternoon or vice versa!

A few nice days below :) More photos on my blog if anyone is interested in seeing what the route is like.

https://loveexploringscotland.com/category/isle-of-arran/

I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Why not head along to TRSNMT Festival at Glasgow Green?  The festival is being held over two weekends on the 29th of June to 21st of July then the following weekend 6th-8th of July.

Last year, there was great Scottish acts aplenty with The View, Twin Atlantic, Biffy Clyro and Vistas all playing.

This year, you could have the chance to see CHVRCHES, Franz Ferdinand and Gerry Cinnamon among other great acts such as The Killers, Liam Gallagher and Wolf Alice!

You can read more on TRNSMT here.
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
    @DMWScotland I’ve always wanted to go to Arran, pretty bad that I havent when I can see it from my town! Your photos are lovely, I may have to look at doing that walk this year when it gets a little warmer :smiley: 
    @VisitScotlandLiam that sounds amazing! And a brilliant line up, I might just have to head along to that :smile:
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @Lochgmarcp I hope you do visit this year, make it happen! I love the view across the ocean to the island, it just pulls me towards it all the time. I'm going back for a day trip with my sister in February. I'm treating her to a whisky distillery tour and tasting session at the Isle of Arran Distillery in Lochranza. Sharing the love :) 
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Ooooo can't beat a bit of planning to start the year off. I love that we are already starting to notice the nights draw out! 
    Favourite place? Hmmmmmm..... I do love Mull for watching the wildlife. 
    This year on my "Must visit" list is the Moray coastline. I have spent a few days up there for working but not exploring. 

If you are up Peterhead way and fancy something a bit different, the Peterhead Prison Museum is a cracking place to visit. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
    @FullStopNextChapter I’m also loving seeing the days stretching now, so good to have a little more time during the day to achieve things! 
    Mull is one of my favourite spots to visit, I do a lot of work with the white tail eagles there and love all the other wildlife on the island! 
    I must try and get back up the north east coast a little more this year, I grew up near Aberdeen and sometimes forget all the gems that part of Scotland has to offer