Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

touring sites along Loch Doon

Hi there, i'm just starting to plan our family touring holiday to Scotland next Easter. We will be there for up to 10 days in a rented motor home and our first stop will be Loch Doon near to the Dark Sky Observatory.  Can anyone recommend a decent touring site nearby or is the free touring site along the Loch ok to stop overnight?  I would also prefer electric hook up but appreciate that this may not be available at the Loch!  From there we are thinking of heading over to the Isle of Arran so any tips for that location would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!, Brendan

Comments

• VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @funkyfazza. I've done a wee bit of searching; there is a touring campsite nearby owned by the Loch Doon Caravan club. It has 22 visitor pitches, all with electric hook ups. You will find this website all about Ayrshire very useful; there is a nice little section all about Loch Doon.

My parents retired down to Castle Douglas nearly 10 years ago now and despite passing Loch Doon I've never stopped there; I'm going to make the effort now to visit!

I hope this helps and enjoy your holiday!  :)
  • funkyfazzafunkyfazza Member
    Thank you Sarah for your reply.  It has been very helpful and I'm now in contact with the caravan club at Loch Doon.  Whilst writing, do you have any recommendations for a decent touring site in the Fort William/ Ben Nevis area?
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @funkyfazza. Apologies for the late reply, I've been on annual leave recently. I have had a wee look and there are several touring sites in the Fort William area which look very nice. A few include the Glen Nevis Campsite,  Loch Lochy and Linnhe Lochside Holidays .  

I hope this helps.  :)
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    edited January 16
    Hello @funkyfazza :)

I've been to the Isle of Arran many times over the years. It's one of my favourites places to explore! It's a beautiful island to visit and I definitely recommend it. It's known as Scotland in miniature and that's exactly what you'll find.

There are a few campsites that I've tried, both are really nice.

Seal Shore Campsite at Kildonan (south)

A small site, but beautiful location right on the beach with views over to Ailsa Craig and Pladda. The Kildonan hotel/bar is right next to it. You can walk right along the coastal path and you will see lots of seals basking on the rocks, maybe even a sea otter! There is also a beautiful waterfall to see that sits back from the coast.

Lochranza Campsite at Lochranza (north)

Lochranza is so pretty! The site sits further back from the coast and sheltered with hills all around you. It should only take about ten minutes to walk down to the coast. You can visit the amazing whisky distillery, explore the castle ruin or other low level walks along the coast. You don't need to like whisky to visit the distillery. There's a lovely wee cafe, visitor centre and gift shop to browse. You're also guaranteed to see deer. They walk around freely everywhere!

I have photos on my blog of both sites.

Lamlash also has a campsite, but I've never been here. I'm sure you've checked the internet and the Visit Arran website for more information.

I've posted a few comments on here about the Isle of Arran that might be useful depending on what you plan to do:

Isle of Arran
    https://community.visitscotland.com/discussion/109/isle-of-arran-ayrshire

Whisky Distillery and Lochranza
    https://community.visitscotland.com/discussion/comment/6484

Arran Coastal Way
    https://community.visitscotland.com/discussion/comment/6519

I also write about Arran on my blog if you would like to read about some of my walks and view some photos: https://loveexploringscotland.com/category/isle-of-arran/

If you like walking, I'd recommend buying the little book Arran: 40 Favourite Walks by Phil Turner. Another great book with fun information about what to see on the island is Arran for Families, Second Edition by David Hilton.

I hope you enjoy your trip! I'm also going to explore Loch Doon sometime this year!

Dawn-Marie :)

I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)