Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Exploring Loch Lomond area

My wife and I will be in Scotland this spring for a couple weeks.  One night in early May we're spending the night in Balloch, and the next day we've allotted to just exploring the Loch Lomond area before heading to Glasgow that evening.  I want to head up Conic Hill, but that won't take all day.  

What else should we make it a point to see / where else should we go in that area before we head to Glasgow?  We're hiring a car so we can drive (don't have to rely on trains or buses).
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• shawes86shawes86 Member ✭✭
    Hi @Horizons - You mentioned that you didn't know the our before or after plans.  Sorry about that.  The days before we'll be further north and west - Inverness, Ullapool, Applecross, Skye, and Glencoe.  From Glencoe we'll be heading to Balloch by way of the A82 then the A85.  Planning on going to Killin to see the Falls of Dochart.  After that it's unclear what we're doing the rest of that day, other than a general idea of checking out the far east side of the Trossachs Nat'l Park. 

That said, I just looked at some pictures of the Tarbet area and Luss.  I had originally thought we could do both the east and west sides by driving all the way around the north end of the Loch.  Now I'm thinking that's just way too much for one day.  Perhaps instead of heading to Killin after leaving Glencoe, we should see the west side of the Loch, including Tarbet and Luss, on our way to Balloch.  Then the next day we stay on the east side before heading to Glasgow...?  After that we spend 1 day in Glasgow before flying back to the States.  Thoughts?  

Thanks for your insight.  I want to see as much as possible while at the same time not feeling too rushed...but I tend to try to cram way too much into too short a period of time.
  • shawes86shawes86 Member ✭✭
    @DMWScotland - thanks for the recommendation of Inchcailloch Island.  That sounds wonderful!