Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

1st time in Scotland at the end of October

Hi there, I am trying to do some planning for our 1st trip to Scotland, travelling from Canada.  Besides 6 days around Inverness for a photography workshop the trip is a clean slate right now.  I'm thinking of spending couple days around Glasgow and 2-3 days in Edinburgh and then hitting the road and heading North.  Any thoughts on how to plan the route?  Both myself and my wife are amateur photographers so I expect there will be more stopping and clicking then driving while we are there so I don't really want to take away too much spontaneity during the trip but I also don't want to be left sleeping in the car too many times either :smile: How late should I look at booking AirBnB or hotels?  Is it busy enough in mid-late October to have to plan day-by-day or should I have decent luck rolling into a town late afternoon and finding a warm bed?  There is so much to see and experience it's a little overwhelming at the moment.   What are your thoughts on using trains or buses to get around versus a rental car?  Has anyone had experiences on best flights from Canada to the UK?  Any thoughts and ideas from everyone is greatly appreciated, TIA!

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭✭
    "Any thoughts on how to plan the route?"

Research! I personally use Social Media, find out where some of my favourite photos around Scotland were shot (searching by location, hashtag or photographer), put them on a map, try tracing a route that connects most of them and voila.

"How late should I look at booking AirBnB or hotels?  Is it busy enough in mid-late October to have to plan day-by-day or should I have decent luck rolling into a town late afternoon and finding a warm bed?"

Late October should be fine doing your trip on a day-to-day basis. I wouldn't take a chance on the Isle of Skye though and would definitely pre-book.

"What are your thoughts on using trains or buses to get around versus a rental car?"

As someone who has seen most of Scotland by public transport, if you can drive then you definitely should.

"Has anyone had experiences on best flights from Canada to the UK?"

Not personally but I've flown a lot from the US, Asia and mainland Europe. Check fares on Skyscanner. I personally would recommend one of the Icelandic airlines (Wow, Icelandair) if they fly from CA, they are happy to fold in a long layover and you can essentially access 2 magnificent countries in the same trip. Do keep Scotland the main focus though, it is so much more diverse in its photographic offerings.

"Any thoughts and ideas from everyone is greatly appreciated"

I have tonnes of ideas for Scotland and they can all be found on my blog. I hope you choose to make it part of your research. Many other top blogs can be found on other threads and I will be happy to answer any specific question you may have in this thread itself.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week (fully by public transport)

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • joker7788joker7788 Member
    Awesome thanks Y&D! I have it open and now and will check it today. I agree research is the key there's just so damn much to check out...I wish we had at least another week there to make the best of it! And once I get a rough idea down I would love to bounce the ideas off ya. Thanks again!