Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Visiting for first time in October

I will be visiting St.Andrews for the first time from the US in October for the Dunhill Championships.  I'm wondering what the best way to get from Edinburg to St.Andrews is, and what would be the best way to get around during the week.  Any other helpful information to know would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• ScathachScathach Member ✭✭
    The easiest option to get from Edinburgh to St. Andrews is by bus and it's the X54 by Stagecoach.
    You can also get there by train, however there's not  a direct train to St. Andrews. You need to get off at Leuchars and from there there's a bus that will take you into the town. The train option is definitely the faster one as it takes only 1hr and 10 mins. The bus from Leuchars to St. Andrews is included in the price of the train ticket.
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @TK_75 , If you are wanting to get around then a hire car would be a good idea. Just make sure that there is parking at your accommodation provider. I suggest a car because you will also want to go to Carnoustie & Kingsbarns for the Golf. I would suggest that you try a little outside of St Andrews as the prices there can be quite high but that is only a personal opinion.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • TK_75TK_75 Member
    I appreciate the helpful comments! I was wondering if there are car rental places easily available, or if a taxi may be readily accessible.  I am trying to get accommodations close to the Old Course since two days will be played there.  I am not greatly concerned about price as this is a "Bucket List" trip for me.  What are the best ways to get to Kingsbarns and Carnoustie? As this area is totally new, I am really needing as much information about getting around easily, and what I should expect for the week.
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi @TK_75.
    There are hire car companies at Edinburgh airport - Arnold Clark, Avis spring to mind. Well worth looking at. This gives you more freedom during your stay too.
    The route from St Andrews through to Carnoustie is main roads and across the Tay road bridge, all sign posted and will take about an hour (depending on the time of day). 

There is a VisitScotland iCentre in St Andrews should you have any questions during your stay. 

For your accommodation request, it might be worth looking on the VisitScotland website at the type of accommodation in the area, this can then lead you to your own conclusion. 

Fife is a really pretty part of Scotland, with plenty of things to see and do. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube