Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

How far in advance to book accommodations?

Hi all,
I'm planning on visiting Scotland next summer and was wondering how far in advance we should book our accommodations. And any recommendations of hotels vs. b&bs vs. guesthouses etc are welcome! Thanks!

Comments

• MoFMoF Member ✭✭
    For summer I would look now, seriously, some places like Skye and Edinburgh may be close to be fully booked for late July early august.  Some tourist areas are in high demand during the high season.  There even were articles written elsewhere about how Skye has gotten crowded during the high season.

There isn't much difference between a guesthouse and a B&B, from an American standpoint they are both more affordable.  You may have to share bath facilities, but when looking around there isn't that much difference between the two, outside of the B&B implying breakfast. 

With the hotel options you can find castle hotels all around Scotland, and a lot of them include breakfast.

But a lot of whats available depends on where you are going and when.  Do some shopping around, and then figure out the direction and your budget, and then you can get a bit more solid advice from here.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @hrleeth Once you know where you’re going I’d book straight away.  Then you know you have your accommodation secured.  Try to use booking sites that offer free cancellation and no pre-payment as that way you can change your plans at fairly short notice.  I’d suggest a mix of all of the accommodation types you mentioned as it’ll give you a varied experience.  I travel all over Scotland and stay in all accommodation types from Highland Estate to yurts!  The Scottish Youth Hostel Association (SYHA) have some excellent hostels you may want to look at for some budget accommodation.  They’re often set in stunning scenery and some are licensed/serve food.  You can also get private rooms so you don’t need to share a bunk room with stranger.  For an out of this World B&B Edencoille in Grantown-on-Spey is unbelievably good.  If you check my Scottish travel blog you’ll find some of the varied places I’ve stayed at. www.theweewhitedug.com
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors.