Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Cycling Route Suggestions

Hello,

My wife and I will by cycling Scotland in August for a couple of weeks. Then off to Ireland for 2 more weeks. I have a tentative itinerary to start, but I am having a tough time using the Scottish Rail website.

Currently - Glasgow - Stirling -Kinross - St Andrews - Dundee - Arbroath - Stonehaven -Aberdeen.

We eventually need to end up at Stranraer to catch a ferry. We would like to see parts of Isle of Skye and Lewis Isle.

Can we get a train west to see these islands? If we do succeed getting to the west coast, do we have to back track with the train to get to Stranraer.

For the Scottish experts. Regarding my planned route. Any suggestions to improve it? Remove one of the towns listed with something else? Or any suggestions in general.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• ScathachScathach Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    If you are planning to come up to Aberdeen there is beautiful cycle route from Aberdeen all the way up to Ballater. It's called the Deeside Way.  I've done a part of it and it's a nice ride.

If you manage to go to Lewis (please do, the Hebrides are stunning) they also have a long distance cycle route: the Hebridean Way.

In order to get to Lewis though, you'll have to head up north to Ullapool. Very far from the point you are planning to visit. 
    Skye can be accessed either by ferry from Mallaig or by public transport from Inverness or Fort William. Still, quite a distance from where you are going.
    Also, Skye is a hotspot in August so booking accommodation is a must. Don't even try to get on the island without having something sorted because you'll struggle immensely.

Hope this helps a bit.

Nadia
  • We cycled around Loch Leven last summer. It was a pleasant flat route, great scenery. We also visited Lochleven Castle, so it was a nice combination of nature and culture :)