Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Aberdeen's Hidden Gems

VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
The Granite City, famous for the offshore rigs and shipbuilding but what are the things that the tourists miss?  What are the hidden gems of Aberdeen?

Slains Castle (Bar)

Not the Slains Castle that is responsible for Bram Stoker's Dracula, but this is a Dracula themed bar in the heart of Aberdeen.  Set in an old church, Slain's Castle is a gothic style bar with great food and famous cocktails!

Trinity Cemetery

If it's a little bit of history you're after, take a visit along to Trinity Cemetery.  There you can see the grave of Robert Hichens, who was the captain of the Titanic when it sank.  Hichens came under extreme controversy when accused of not helping passengers out of the water into lifeboats when the ship sank.  Nevertheless, you can visit his final resting place in Trinity Cemetery, Aberdeen.

Johnston Gardens

You don't have to go all the way to Japan to find peaceful tranquil gardens.  These gardens have won the Britain In Bloom award numerous times and behold some stunning streams, waterfalls and a striking wooden bridge.  The perfect place to go with family, friends or the other half!

Go Dolphin Spotting

head down to the harbour and take a dolphin spotting tour to catch a wee glimpse of these beauties!  You can catch bottlenose dolphins (these guys), white beaked dolphins, risso dolphns and even spot minke whales if you look hard enough!

What hidden gems have you found in Aberdeen?  Be sure to share your pictures and stories below!

Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.

Comments

• ScathachScathach Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Torry Battery is actually a better spot to see the Dolphins. It's a bit higher up and offers a greater view as there is no breakwater blocking your view. 

Another wee gem is a wee road in the Old town called Wright's and Coopers lane:

At the bottom of the lane there is a small pond with a globe in it and a few benches where to sit down. It's incredibly peaceful.

Another great spot is the hill behind the Beach Ballroom: Broad Hill.
    It's very small but I love it because it offers some incredible views of the city. The whole bay stretches in front of you and behind you, there's the city. Lovely spot. 

And finally, the northern side of Aberdeen's beach. Everyone concentrates on the city part but go past Bridge of Don, turn right on Donmouth road and head for  the beach. This is the wild side of Aberdeen beach and it's lovely.
    Fewer people than the city side and much more wilder as there are no breakwaters. If you keep walking (a lot. Been there done that!) you can actually reach Balmedie. A stunning beach and nature reserve in the north of the city. This side of the beach always feels Martian to me as the sand is a tad redder and the landscape, with all its dunes, it's totally different. 

(This is a photo I took on my crazy walk up to Balmedie)

(Amazing at sunset - from another one of my many adventure along that part of the beach)

Well, this is my share of hidden gems for the Deen :-)

Nadia