Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Snow?

While I’m overexcited about planning this trip in such short notice, I’m wondering if you do get any snow in Scotland over Christmas? :D

Comments

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    We had snow in the Cairngorms and Fife just a week or so ago and are due some more in the next few days. 
    Hopefully you will find some somewhere. 

This was taken from the viewing platform on Cairngorm Mountain just over a week ago.

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited December 7
    Hi @Fluffaduff! It really is pot luck I'm afraid, we haven't had a proper white Christmas (Xmas day etc) for over 5 years now; it tends to come more in Jan/Feb/March. In saying that however, we have had a good few days of snowy weather over the last few weeks, so you never know, this could be the year! Take a gamble and see?!  :)

PS Location wise I would agree with @FullStopNextChapter, here in the Cairngorms (I'm in Ballater) is a good bet!  :)
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited December 11
    Just wanted to jump in and share this great pic from instagram of snow in Nethy Bridge last week! 

A post shared by Gemma Tomlinson (@omggemma) on

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • ScathachScathach Member ✭✭
    This is Aberdeen in the snow this week!
    For Aberdeen this is a lot! We usually don't see much snow since we are on the coast. It was an amazing surprise!w

• FurrybootsCityFurrybootsCity Member ✭✭
    Yeah, I agree with all said before, the Cairngorms National offers some fine views of the snow-topped mountains. Somewhere like Aviemore is a good base to enjoy the landscapes.

Even Highland Perthshire is a great area to enjoy winter. I was on a short winter walk there yesterday with a friend and it was simply stunning. Clear views over to the snowy summit of Carn Liath were breathtaking. It was also breathtaking as it was around -7!!! Great experience. We walked down to the Solider's Leap at Killiecrankie. This was the location for a dramatic escape by a Redcoat solider from the Jacobites where the solider leapt 18ft across the River Garry in the 17th Century. Quite an escape when you see the raging torrents!!!! Certainly a lot round the Killiecrankie area.

Hope you find a snowy Scotland and keep wrapped up warm!
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    We haven't had any snow down in Edinburgh yet!  It seems like everywhere else has it and not us! :(