Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

18 days looking for photographic locations

Hey there

My wife and I are possibly heading to Scotland in March 2018, and will have approximately 18 days to tour around the country. We are looking for very scenic spots for the purpose of photography primarily.  Castles, landscapes, fantasy type locations.  Not really interested in cities at all, although we may do a day or two in Edinburgh.

Would of course like to get up to the Isle of Skye, but other than that we are totally open to ideas.  This will  be our first trip to Scotland, after having done Ireland a couple of years ago (and loved it).

We will be renting a car to get around, and most likely be staying in a mix of B&B's and mid level hotels.

Any advice, suggestions or ideas you can give would be most appreciated.

This is a birthday trip for her, as she has requested to be out of Australia for her birthday, and somewhere cold :)

Many thanks

Richard

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @RFLundgren!  I'm sure your wife will love a trip to Scotland!  Some of the most popular landscapes for photos are up in the Highlands of Scotland.  I would recommend: Glencoe, Dunnottar Castle, Kilchurn Castle, Eilean Donnar Castle, Urquhart Castle, Fort William, Loch Lomond, Loch Ness, Ben Nevis - and that's just off the top of my head!

I'm sure more people will have further suggestions for you as well!

Hope this helped and you have a brilliant trip, post some of the pics you take on here for us all to see as well!

Liam
  • ScathachScathach Member ✭✭
    I am biased but I'd recommend Aberdeenshire. Very underrated and offers some amazing locations. You have both sea and mountains. You can head north and we have Forvie sands. An incredible nature reserve where you have sands dunes on the sea, and a massive colony of seals. 
    If you head north you reach Cruden bay and the ruins of Slains Castle
    We have a great variety of castles, although coming in March, most of them will still be closed. But the grounds are always open and you can still enjoy them from the outside.
    We have Dunnottar castle and the lovely village of Stonehaven (The Bay! Best fish and chips!!)

Then you can head to the mountains and explore the beauty of Deeside and the Cairngorm. Ballater and Braemar are two lovely villages. Definitely plenty of amazing photo locations. Very close to Ballater there's a beautiful nature reserve called Muir of Dinnet. One of my favourite places in the area. 
    And if you like hiking Loch Muick is an incredible walk to do. And amazing for photos!!

Nadia
  • RFLundgrenRFLundgren Member
    Thanks Liam and Nadia for your thoughts and suggestions. So much research to do before we travel, and what makes it more difficult is that she does not know where I am taking her, and will only find out when we get to the airport! This is a 50th Birthday trip so have to have some element of surprise, although I  may have to give in a few weeks before so she can also do some planning.

Richard
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    From a photographers point of view @RFLundgren, Scotland is one huge playground. Everywhere is stunning! 

I agree with @Scathach, Aberdeenshire is so pretty and is home to the Castle Trail. Lots of romantic/magical castles to visit. 

For me, Glen Coe is truly magical and a photographers dream. 

Perthshire also has so much to offer - Blair Castle, Killin waterfalls, Queens View, Pitlochry Dam and visitor centre, The Hermitage at Dunkeld, Stanley Mills (an old mill house on the river Tay), Kinnoull Hill, Loch Tay and it's surrounding area. 

I recently discovered Sutherland on the north west coast (part of the North Coast 500) and it is stunning. The area of Assynt is particularly beautiful and mountainous. 

There are a couple of considerations to bare in mind when planning your trip:

Driving conditions further up north may not be great on some of the smaller, single track roads due to snow and ice. 

Some attractions may not be open before Easter. Although some still allow access to the grounds for walks and photos etc. Same applies to some of the smaller cafes etc the further north you go. 
    Don't let this put you off though. Before moving to Scotland I had only ever visited in March and it is perfect, you just need a bit more planning. 

Have fun 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • ScathachScathach Member ✭✭
    @FullStopNextChapter this time is me agreeing with you. Sutherland is spectacular. I fell in love with Assynt. I camped a couple of years back at Clachtoll and explored the area. Breathtaking views. Definitely at the top as one of the most amazing corners of Scotland.
  • RFLundgrenRFLundgren Member
    FullStopNextChapter many thanks for your ideas, especially from a photographers perspective. 

My wifes specialty is composite and fantasy, so the exterior of castles and landscapes will be perfect for her.  She  uses these as backgrounds in her manipulations, so the main purpose of the trip is to bulk up her stock image library to give her many more selections to chose from.  What you have suggested sounds perfect, so I guess time now for me to do some serious planning in regards to route we will drive and accommodation options.