Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

What is your favourite Restaurant in Scotland?

fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
I thought that we should start this topic to learn about new or existing restaurants throughout Scotland.
I will start the ball rolling with my 3 favourite restaurants:
1. The Kitchin, in Leith, is definately my number one restaurant. I visited here a few years ago with my wife for her 40th birthday and enjoyed the tasting menu. Tom Kitchin actually sat down with us and had a coffee & a chat. Amazing experience that will never be forgotton.

2. The Newport Restaurant, in Newport by Dundee, is owned by Jamie Scott (Masterchef Winner) and is a wonderful restaurant with a completely different idea of serving food. This is not to be missed.

3. Pura Maison, Crieff, is a new restaurant that is 1 year old and run by Stuart Leishman & Jennifer Neilson. This restaurant is Scotland meets France through & through. Fantastic dishes and great presentation top with friendly staff. Highly recommended. 

Best regards
fishypro

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @fishypro Oooh great topic and so many to choose from. 

In Edinburgh I love The Tower - fab castle views and great food. 

on Iona both the Argyll & St Columba Hotels serve fantastic, quality meals. Many of the ingredients used are grown in the hotel kitchen gardens.  

Blair's Restaurant at Ardoe House in Aberdeenshire is another favourite.  It's got a lovely chilled ambiance and really takes pride in Scotland's rich natural larder.

In Glasgow I love One Devonshire Gardens by Hotel du Vin for a special celebration. 

Ok I'll shut up now before I've done a sweep of the entire country. 

Oh and I'll add the Boathouse on the Isle of Ulva.  Och the Gigha Boathouse is fab too!! 

Too difficult to choose.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Pretty fancy stuff @fishypro, great list for western food buffs. The food looks pretty good but I doubt it costs less than £50 per person. 

My list of favourite places in Edinburgh in the mostly affordable price range with my favourite dish (consequently these are basic ambience not ideal for date night, unless you're foodies)

1. Best Thai : Ting Thai Caravan (Massaman curry)

2. Best American BBQ : Reekies Smokehouse (Beef brisket)

3. Best Indian : Mezbaan (Meen moilee, fish curry)

4. Best guilty pleasure : Wings (any sauce that fancies you)

5. Best cake : Falko Konditorei (proper black forest cake)

And to dispel notions that I may be a penny-pincher, a couple of splurges (I'll eat anything good)

1. Best steak : Kyloe (60 day aged steak)

2. Best French / Scottish cuisine : Le Escargot Blue / Blanc (Escargot, duh)

3. Best ambience : Witchery by the castle (Steak tartare)

Finally if you're heading to Skye, do not miss Loch Harport oysters from the Oyster Shed at Carbost, some of the best in the world. If you're heading to Iona / Mull, the wee seafood shack at the pier (called Creel) has super fresh seafood sandwiches. Truly taste the difference.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    @Horizon, you are right as far as The Kitchin is concerned but as for The Newport, that is around 30 pounds per head and Pura Maison is around 20 pounds per head.
    I agree that The Witchery is excellent.
    Great list @Horizons thanks for that.
    Best regards
    fishypro
    @Samantha_Grant, thanks for your reply and your list of places to go. The Tower in Edinburgh is also on my list of places to go.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • FunkyEllas_TravelFunkyEllas_Travel VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    I completely agree with both The Kitchin and The Newport, both are a perfect way to enjoy proper Scottish fare. I wrote an article recently about my favourite dishes in Fife, two of my favourites were Room with a View in Aberdour and the Steak Barn at Balgove Larder. We really do have some fantastic restaurants http://www.funkyellastravel.com/blog/8-dishes-you-must-try-in-fife-daily-record
    Nicola Holland
    Scottish Travel writer/blogger.
    Ask me anything about Scotland including eating and drinking, travelling with the family, history, the cities and the countryside.
    You can follow me here
    Blog|Twitter|Facebook| Instagram
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 5
    Fife has two amazing Michelin Star restaurants, The Peat Inn & The Cellar. Jamie Scott's Newport is also amazing! 

The Newport

The Cellar

Another amazing creation at Pura Maison in Crieff. This place has the most great tasting food.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • ScathachScathach Member ✭✭
    Probably my favourite restaurant is in Oban: Cuan Mor
    Great views of the bay... amazing fish and local beer! I go there everytime I am in Oban!
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Red Skye - Breakish in Skye is fabulous

Also the Grange Inn near St Andrews is really lovely. 

Favourite place for cake - Muneroy's near Machrihanish. 

We recently discovered Nanny's at Sheildaig (On the NC500 route) and enjoyed our soup and sandwich combo.

So many places..

Oooo, oooooo, also LOVE Dishoom in Edinburgh 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • MargaretMargaret Member ✭✭
    :) The Courthouse in Kinross is pretty special, food is excellent.
  • MargaretMargaret Member ✭✭
    Loch Leven's Larder (just a couple of miles from Kinross) is well worth a visit.  As well as the fantastic restaurant, they have a super Deli and retail shop, and in the summer, sit out and enjoy the views.