Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Have you been to the Isle of Rum?

LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
I'm heading to the Isle of Rum this weekend, with a view to promote what the island has to offer! Have you ever been and do you have any recommendations for things to see or do whilst there?

I am only there for a short visit and have plans to head out with SNH to see the red deer rut and also visit the nature reserve.. has anyone got any thoughts on other things to do or see? Or things to do if the weather is typically Scottish haha!

Let me know below and I'll appreciate any recommendations..
Instagram.com/Lochgmarcp @lochgmarcp

Comments

• johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    Hey @Lochgmarcp, There's a shipwreck on the north of the island. Thankfully all crew were saved. Also, we had a wee swim in the bay as you arrive on the ferry. 

Some beautiful bays in the north too. 

• LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    @johnmurrayjnrmany thanks for your response! I didn't make it to the shipwreck unfortunately as the weather made it difficult but I appreciate your suggestion, hopefully when I make it back i'll get to that area :smile: and you are brave to have a swim there hehe!
  • SuleskerrySuleskerry Member ✭✭
    @Lochgmarcp I really enjoyed reading about your trip to Rum, it brought back many good memories from when I visited a few years ago, at that time the hostel at Kinloch Castle was still open, so I stayed there. I must go back again sometime, I'd love to go during the rutting season. It sounds like there are more facilities for visitors now.
  • KatKat Member ✭✭
    Goodness those pictures are gorgeous Marc. Not helping my wanderlust any though. 
    @Suleskerry thank you, I'm glad you liked reading about it! I did hear how the castle used to be a hostel, would have been a cool experience to stay in it, loved all the artwork and pieces in it! They have definitely made a big effort to improve the facilities for visitors and much easier to have a longer stay now! And visiting during the rut I can't recommend highly enough! 
    @Kat thank you very much, so glad you like them! Definitely get Rum on your travel list ;-)