Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Exploring Scotland's 'most beautiful' Glen.

eilidh__cameroneilidh__cameron VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
edited October 31 in Scotland's countryside
For many years I have read of Glen Affric's beauty and when I finally got to visit the Glen for myself last week I was not disappointed. For me, Glen Affric is the ultimate romantic fairytale landscape with mountains, lochs, rivers, gorges, waterfalls and magnificent Caledonian pine forests.

I visited for two days and stayed at Glen Affric Holiday Park in the little village of Cannich. I cannot recommend this place enough , the cabin I stayed in was extremely comfortable and well kitted out and the hosts were fantastic! The location is also brilliant as you are only a few miles drive from Glen Affric itself, 15 minutes drive to Loch Ness and 26 miles from Inverness.

Shortly after arriving I headed straight down the Glen as I wanted to catch the sunset from the Am Meallan viewpoint, the light on the way down was incredible so I was very excited for the potential photo I could make from the viewpoint but unfortunately by the time I got there the clouds had moved in from the west, :( However on the way back I spotted a badger so that made up for lack of sunset.

Once the rain cleared the next morning I headed back down the glen, the sun came out and oh my goodness the autumnal colours were INCREDIBLE, I have genuinely never seen a display like it, I was treated to sights like this while driving down the road..

And also this.. 

There a several different walking trails in the glen, the Forestry Commission have published a fantastic guide with lots of information about each trail, if you are thinking of visiting this area I would suggest taking a look at this leaflet, it can be downloaded or picked up in a VisitScotland VIC or other establishments.

I started off walking part of the Dog Falls trail which takes you along part of the River Affric and then I headed up to the view point trail. (This starts from the same place as the Fall trail) The viewpoint walk is fairly short, around 3/4 of a mile but you are continuously climbing up hill however, you do get rewarded for your effort with magnificent views over the forest and Loch Beinn a Mheadhoin.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this view point having never seen photographs from this spot before but as you can see the views were really stunning!

After my climb I sat and had lunch at the Loch Beinn a Mheadhoin picnic area, it was so relaxing sitting my the loch listening to the trees rustling in the forest behind me. After lunch I went for a wee wander around the loch and found this beautiful little spot where there was sand on the shore and the remains of Pine trees which had been drowned my the waters of the loch.  My next spot was the River trail, this is where the River Affric joins Loch Affric to Loch Beinn a Mheadhoin. The rain had come back by this time but for once I wasn't complaining as all the rain had meant there was a pretty impressive spate in the river. 

I started making my way back up the glen around one hour before the darkness came down with the intention of walking more of the Dog Falls walk however I spotted a stag strutting about through the heather so I got a little distracted. They really are such magnificent creatures.

The next day, before I headed home there was one last place I had to visit; Plodda Falls. These must be the most impressive falls in Scotland and possibly the highlight of my trip. The road down to the falls is pretty rough and bumpy but if you go slowly your car should be fine, it took me around 20 minutes to get from Cannich to the falls carpark. Once there the path takes you 400 meters through a magnificent forest of Douglas Firs to the viewing platform at the top of the falls. I walked onto the platform and looked over but I was not expecting a 151ft drop and I got a bit of a fright but once I got over the initial shock it really was a sight to behold.

The path takes you down to the bottom of the falls but I didn't stay there very long as I got drenched by the mist from the falls, other than the soaking it's a great spot!

Unfortunately Plodda falls marked the end of my trip to Glen Affric but I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and cannot wait to return, hopefully for a little longer as there are so many great parts of the glen I didn't have time to see. If you are thinking of visiting be aware that this is quite a remote area so there is no mobile signal at all in the glen and the roads are single track which didn't phase me as I'm used to driving on these types of roads but I imagine they'd be quite daunting if you are used to motor way and big wide roads but all that I think is part of the Highland experience! 

I would love to here about your adventurers in the Glen, what was your favorite part? And is there anywhere you recommend I make a priority on my next visit? 

You can follow my adventures on Instagram @eilidh__cameron

Comments