Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Best time to visit and why?

Will be traveling from the States (Alaska), not into big cities.  We're an active, older couple that likes golf, all out door activities.  We love to explore the history of the country.  I would like to know when is the best season to visit and why you think it is. We would like to avoid the peak summer season so this leave spring and fall.  What would you pick for a "must see and do", places to stay etc.  

Best Answer

Answers

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @MT2AK, the best time for me would be April or early May or the whole of September. The golf courses are really quiet during these times and the weather can be quite settled. My favourite time is September. Stay away from the big courses. There are hundreds of great golf courses to be discovered and to be played. Blairgowrie, Crieff, Boat of Garten, Spey Valley. I f you want to play Gleneagles, play the Kings Course.
    If you need any other help then just let me know!

Best regards
    fishypro
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Ooooo the million dollar question @MT2AK. For me personally I like this time of year - the cooler crisp mornings mixed with all the autumnal colour (and hopefully some sunshine) are just perfect and hard to beat. 
    I recently wrote a blog post on this subject, just a few things to consider and ensure you do your homework if travelling out of season. 

But in all honesty, Scotland is beautiful at any time of the year and offers something different all year round. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @MT2AK I think there's something unique to offer in each season but I'm sure you will enjoy either Spring or Autumn - let us know what you end up picking!

If you have been to Scotland before then you're in for a treat. You will likely fly into Edinburgh or Glasgow and even if you aren't into cities I do recommend at least one day in each to have a wee explore and get a feel for the history, heritage, architecture, cuisine and of course accents!

In terms of must sees, here's a bit of a starter list - let us know if any of this might interest you!

• Seeing a loch in Scotland is essential. We have 100's to choose from but Loch Ness or Loch Lomond might interest you
    • Visit the Culloden Battlefield -  the site of the 1746 battle between the Duke of Cumberland and Prince Charles
    • Explore the Isle of Skye and stop at the Fairy Pools for some incredible natural beauty
    • Drive through the Highlands and see if you can spot the deer at Glen Coe
    • Visit some of the smaller coastal towns like Stonehaven for picturesque views and history
    • Go on a gin tour or a whisky tour
    • Go castle hopping (we have a thread here where people are sharing their favourites)
    We also have more information about golf here which might be useful for you.

I hope this helps as a starting point! Obviously the above are just a few ideas out of thousands of possibilities! 

Let us know if we can help with anything else :)

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram