Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Magical waterfalls in Scotland

2»

Comments

• FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Some photos taken from a recent walk to the Blackwater Reservoir near Kinlochleven where I have never seen so many waterfalls!

• Fork_and_FootFork_and_Foot Member ✭✭
    I was going to say the Falls of Falloch, but that was the first one in the list! :smiley:
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Falls of Falloch is my favourite @Fork_and_Foot ; ;)
  • willmackenziewillmackenzie Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I'm a huge waterfall fan, and I go hunting for unknown ones a lot in my spare time.

Four of my five favourites haven't been mentioned above, so here they are:
    • Wailing Widow Waterfall, just south of Unapool in Sutherland
    • Clashnessie Falls, Clashnessie, near Lochinver/Achmelvich/Clachtoll
    • Bearreraig Waterfall, Isle of Skye
    • Loup of Fintry, Fintry, Stirlingshire
    • Bracklinn Falls, Calander, Stirlingshire (has been mentioned above)

This is the Wailing Widow Waterfall

This is the Bearreraig Waterfall, Skye

This is the Loup of Fintry - there's much more to it than this photo suggests, so I've added a hyperlink above to show you more of it on it's Wikipedia :smile:

This is the Bracklinn Falls - there's more of them to explore, and there's a beautiful bridge, which is where this photo was taken from, plus lots of woods to explore and walk.

Hope this helps!
    Edinburgh | Highlands of Scotland | Part-time explorer
    > My Instagram
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Black Spout Waterfall in Pitlochry. You can stop and see this as you walk to Edradour Distillery.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    very nice photographs @willmackenzie. Thanks for including the link to the Loup of Fintry, the waterfalls look pretty cool. Not too far from where I work, so I may have to make a visit.  :)
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Stunning photos @willmackenzie! So beautiful! I love waterfalls  :)
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • willmackenziewillmackenzie Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks Dawn-Marie and Lyndsay  :)

@VisitScotlandLyndsay: For the Loup of Fintry, I struggled the first time I went hunting for it, but basically you're looking for a passing place on the right of the road as you go up the hill from Fintry - it's maybe 2 miles-ish up the road? If you park in the passing place you'll see a wooden sign which points you the 1/4 mile to the Falls, the only issue is the sign is hard to read, so I drove past it first time  :D These are the exact co-ordinates: 56.050068, -4.149778 - if you pop those into Google Maps or a Sat Nav, you'll find it with the above knowledge. It's probably 20mins from Stirling city centre.

It's an incredible place on a sunny day because the valley you look down, if you get up, close is very pretty, especially with a big blue sky and huge fluffy clouds.. If you go: enjoy!  <3

Edinburgh | Highlands of Scotland | Part-time explorer
    > My Instagram
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @willmackenzie
    Wow, stunning pictures!!! - some are too far for me but the Loup of Fintray I should definately be able to reach. I will put it to my walking buddies for one of our outings   :D
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I recently visited Pucks Glen in the Cowal Peninsula with @VisitScotlandLyndsay.  It was an amazing walk with a series of small waterfalls through a deep chasm.  It was stunning!  Here is a picture of @VisitScotlandLyndsay at one of the larger falls. :)

• nettie101nettie101 Member ✭✭
    On the way home from Tyndrum I stopped in at The Falls of Falloch, amazing 
  • Stefano_1988Stefano_1988 Member ✭✭
    My favourites (up to now) are:

•  Falls of Clyde, just near New Lanark;
    • Black Spout Waterfall in Pitlochry;
    • Falls of Bruar.
    I simply was speechless in front of these natural beauties.

amazing photographs @Stefano_1988
  • Stefano_1988Stefano_1988 Member ✭✭
    amazing photographs @Stefano_1988
    Thank you very much :)
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I wrote a post over on my blog about my favourite five waterfalls: 

https://www.fullstopnextchapter.com/waterfalls-in-scotland/ 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • MatthiasTMatthiasT Member
    Heading to Scotland next summer July 2019.
    As we're fans off waterfalls, we want to do some of Scotlands. Of course the question is wich are MUST do.

Planning a long our route, this are the choosens ones (for the moment beeing)
    Is there some one who can give me some indication of time to visited these?

* Falls of Falloch
         * Plodda Falls -> we are traveling from Inverness to Isle of Skye passing
           Loch Ness, is it worth to make a detour to these?
         * Falls of Braan
         * Black Spout Waterfall in Pitlochry -> probabbly gone spend the night in Pitlochry
         * Falls of Bruar

We are staying 2 nights in Inverness, on the second day we want to head out to Channonry Point is it worth to drive to Ullapool next and do some Falls over there?

Kind Regards,

Matthias

2»