Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Salt & Sauce or Salt & vinegar? - that is the question!

Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
As a lifelong Edinburgher there's only one answer when asked at the chip shop - "What ye wantin' oan yer chips?"  The answer is of course "salt an sauce" broon (brown) chippy sauce to be precise.  Chippy sauce is watered down brown sauce and it tastes like manna from heaven.  This quaint chip seasoning custom is unique in Scotland to Edinburgh and the area surrounding it.  

Elsewhere in Scotland the answer would be "salt an vinegar" - to me this is an abhorration which turns a nice poke of chips into something that's best thrown straight in the bin.  

In the early days of my relationship with my Highlander hubby we almost came to blows when he brought me home a fish supper with salt and vinegar on it! 

My most recent blog raises the topic and it's sparked a wee bit of debate on my social media feeds. 

So - what ye wantin' oan yer chips?  That is the question.

below is a photo of a braw poke of chips from East Lothian's Alandas.  Note the generous application of broon sauce!  :D

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

Comments