Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Driving in Scotland with a non-GB driving licence

Dear all, 

My name is Marco and I come from Italy. I'm new to this community (actually this is my very first message) so I am not sure if this is the best way of presenting myself and asking information...if not, please suggest me the correct way: I will be glad to stick to this community's rules.

I am organizing a road trip in Scotland this October (Edinburgh => Saint Andrews => The Dunnottar Castle + Aberdeen => Inverness => Loch Ness + The Urquhart Castle => Eilean Donan Castle => The Isle of Skye => Mallaig => Glenfinnan => Fort William => Glencoe => Loch Lomond => Glasgow => and back to Edinburgh...any tip on the itinetary is welcome) so I will need to rent a car once landed there.

Since I have an italian driving licence (fully valid), do I need an International Driving Permit for renting and driving a car in Scotland?? I tried to ask our italian DVLA but got contrasting answers so now I have no clue on how to go on.
Could you please help me clarify the situation?
Thank you all in advance.    :)

Ciao, 

Marco.

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @DajeMoo!  Sounds like quite a trip you have planned!  As long as you hold a valid EU Drivers License you can drive in Scotland!

Hope this helps!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • DajeMooDajeMoo Member
    Hi @DajeMoo!  Sounds like quite a trip you have planned!  As long as you hold a valid EU Drivers License you can drive in Scotland!

Hope this helps!
    Many thanks Liam, much appreciated!!   :)

This is definitely good news.

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @DajeMoo Not a problem!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • áineáine Member
    Enjoyed Scottish visit but was very upset by an incident at Edinburgh Airport. Very disappointed with the behaviour of the car rental representative who accused us of putting a dent in our rented car. It was obvious that we were targeted as she went straight for a tiny dent and then suggested that the whole panel would need to be replaced. We protested loudly knowing that we were being set- up. Back in the office she admitted that the dent had been already logged in. We were extremely upset and knew that it wsa a deliberate ploy. This incident left a very sour taste on what was a very pleasant holiday. 
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @áine, What a terrible trick! I can only suggest that you take out their full insurance next time to avoid any future attempts like that. Just give them the key and walk away.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    áine sorry to hear of this experience. Please do make sure you follow up with an email to their customer service team with details of your experience. 

Glad to hear the rest of your holiday was a pleasant one however!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • DonkDonk Member
    My wife and I will be visiting soon (from USA), and are thinking of renting a car. What preparations should we make for driving licensing and insurance?
  • HershelHershel Member
    We are also planning a visit from the USA and wondered about the driving license requirements.
    Hey @Hershel, as long as you have a valid American license, you can drive a small car or a motorcycle.  Here's more information.