Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

The Isle of Arran's Single Malt Whisky

DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
I was asked recently for a recommendation on a good Scottish whisky. Alas ... I could not answer this. I'm Scottish, but I don't drink whisky. So, I had to visit a whisky distillery to see what all the hype was about.

The Isle of Arran has its very own whisky distillery in the pretty village of Lochranza in the north of the island. The Arran Single Malt is made on the island using its own pure water source from Loch na Davie.

It surprised me at how much of a science whisky making is. The tour guide was very passionate and proud of what they make. So much care goes into making this, top quality for sure. What could be better than fresh mountain water from an island? I really needed to taste this! 

I was a little embarrassed that I didn't know they made beer first, then extracted the alcohol from this to start the whisky making process. I thoroughly enjoyed the whisky tasting though. I'm not completely converted, but I can honestly say I'd try it again! I found out that whisky tastes different to everyone and I need to find one that suits me. It was the most educational and warming experience! Cold nights could be made warmer ;) .

Then we hiked to the water source Loch na Davie. Whisky and scenery, what more can you ask for?
  1. Find out more information about Arran's Distillery
  2. Read about my story and see more photos on my blog
  3. Watch a wee Instagram video of Lochranza 
Lochranza Castle

Arran Distillery, Lochranza

Shiny Copper Stills

Whisky tasting!

Walk to Loch na Davie ~ Gleann Easan Biorach

Loch na Davie ~ the source of Arran's whisky

I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)

Comments