Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Car hire from Edinburgh to Glencoe

Hi All,

In late October, I'm wanting to hire a car in Edinburgh - travel to Perth for a few nights, and then travel to Glencoe area and return the car there. I am having real trouble finding a rental place that will let us drop off in Glencoe. Does anyone know of one?

If its not possible. Eek. How do we get from Perth to Glencoe? Is there a train / bus service?

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi

You could try Sixt Car Hire which is a national car rental business and seems to have a branch in Glencoe. That means that you could hire in Edinburgh and drop off in Glencoe. It's always more expensive to do it that way though. If you can't do it you could take a train/bus to Glasgow and the set off for Glencoe by Scottish Citylink bus - please use the journey planner in the link. Have a great time in Scotland  :)
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @Katiekitty88!  I couldn't seem to find any car rental places in Glencoe and couldn't seem to find a direct train from Perth to Glencoe.  What I would recommend is to get the train from Perth to Fort William, hire a car from there, visit Glencoe and drop the car back off at Fort William after your visit.  From there, get the train to your next location!

Hope this has helped!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    The public transport route from Perth to Fort William is inefficient as it goes through Inverness (5 hrs vs 2.5 hours driving). I would follow @VisitScotlandLiam 's suggestion of returning the car at Ft. William (but pick it up from Edinburgh / Perth) and look for rental companies there.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)