Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Art and the landscape

Dumfries & Galloway is known to be an area rich in natural landscape and have a thriving arts and crafts sector. More often the both combine and there are amazing art works place amongst the beautiful landscape.

Driving down the A7 from Hawick to Langholm there is a sign to the Hugh MacDiarmid Memorial.  I know he was a writer and the memorial resembles an iron open book on the hillside over looking Langholm what else do people know and what level is the walk to the memorial?

More recent, Crawick Multiverse by Charles Jencks is a great example of landscape art that has transformed a former open cast coal mine into a cosmic landscape.  Has anyone visited or know of other examples of great art installations in the landscape in Dumfries & Galloway?

Comments

• LauramacLauramac Member ✭✭

On a trip to Dumfries and Galloway I had a great day out at Crawick Multiverse recently with my family. There are so many activities and events going on which add to the wonderful landscapes and installations.

We also visited Kirkcudbright which is known as 'The Artists Town'. It is picturesque with lovely pastel coloured houses, markets, galleries and art festivals. Well worth the visit you would like to be inspired by the landscape of the region. 

• I've discovered that there are many more walks around the Langholm area and I've been told the views on the hills tops are spectacular - now on my list to see.