Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

First time in Scotland -Edinburgh

My family, husband, 22 year old son and I, will be visiting Scotland for the first time in early October. It is my son's college graduation present. We will be staying in Edinburgh for the first 3 days of our 10 day trip. What are your recommendations for things to see and do? Places to eat and drink? We are interested in history, culture and unique things. We are staying near Edinburgh Castle. 

Best Answers

Answers

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited July 31
    Hi @terrig2017

You are perfectly placed to explore the Old Town where you will find many wonderful things to see and do from Edinburgh Castle to the National Museum of Scotland and down the Royal Mile to Holyrood Palace/ Holyrood Park and Our Dynamic Earth.

Do take a look at the VisitScotland suggested itineraries for  one and two days in Edinburgh. It will also be easy for you to walk to the New Town and see the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Calton Hill and the grand architecture of the streets. Also the destination page for Edinburgh will give you some ideas.

The Royal Mile and the streets around it offer some fantastic and varied places to eat and drink so you won't have to wander too far to find something you like.

Between the Old Town and New Town, the Edinburgh iCentre is a great starting point for you to come and find out more information about tickets, directions and how to make the most of the time you have in Edinburgh.
    https://www.visitscotland.com/info/services/edinburgh-icentre-p234441
  • terrig2017terrig2017 Member ✭✭
    Thank you!
  • GanymedeGanymede Member ✭✭
    Hi @terrig2017
    I'm sure you'll love your trip. Edinburgh is a wonderful city and the view from the top of Holyrood park is wonderful
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @terrig2017, Edinburgh is a beautiful city I'm sure you'll love it!  If you're staying near the castle and are looking for somewhere to go for a drink, there are plenty pubs and bars around the Grassmarket area, then if you head into the Cowgate, you could catch some live music at Bannerman's bar and get a bite to eat (street-food style) with your drinks at The Three Sisters, just along the road!
  • terrig2017terrig2017 Member ✭✭
    Thank you!