Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

The Kintyre Peninsula - Finding the Best Spots

travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
Next month will see me staging a return to the Kintyre Peninsula as I continue my adventures around Argyll. Having taken on the coastal areas around Oban, the lochs in central and eastern Argyll and dabbled in the Cowal Peninsula, this will be my final stretch of the massive region to be explored this year. Having not been down this far in many a year though, I'm reaching out for pointers and suggestions from you good people. Do you have any top recommendations, perhaps some off the beaten path?

Here's what I have lined up so far:

Campbeltown - my whisky habit will take me back to this former epicentre of Scotch. Springbank Distillery is one of the few remaining and I'm desperate to finally make it in person.

Machrihanish - I do love a good west coast beach, this seems an obvious one regardless of the weather.

Ruins - I'll be on the prowl for castles, there are a few more remote ones that I'm going to attempt to hunt down. Skipness is certainly on the list!

Gigiha - of course a day trip over to the magical Isle of Gigha is on the cards. I have never been here at all and would love to hear anyone's thoughts on it.

I'll update on my highlights from this 5 day trip on my return but do let me know if you have any stories of your own to tell!
Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.

Comments

• eilidh__cameroneilidh__cameron VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hey, I live in this part of Scotland so have a few wee recommendations for this area.

A'Cleit is a beautiful beach halfway between Tayinloan and Machrihanish, it's a lot more sheltered than Machrihanish and has lovely views out to Gigha and Cara. There is also a beautiful church beside the beach.

Southend is also lovely, its about 8 miles South of Cambeltown. The beach there is also beautiful and apparently this is where Saint Columba first set foot when he landed in Scotland. There are two human footprints carved into a rock along the seafront and the story goes that the footprints belong to the Saint. If you are in Southend be sure to visit the Muneroy Tearoom for some of the best home baking in Scotland!!

I've never walked out to the island myself but I hear Davaar island is well worth a visit, at low tide you can walk along the causeway out to the island. The island is littered with caves and in come cave there is the famous crucifixion painting. 

Hope that is of some help to you :) 
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @travelswithakilt

A few years ago I spent some time exploring the Kintyre Peninsula and I absolutely loved the more remote eastern shore.  I stayed in Carradale - a small fishing village with a fantastic sandy beach and stunning views looking across to the Isle of Arran.  I watched the fishing boats arrive in the harbour laden with langoustines and I tasted some of the best seafood I have ever eaten.....very yummy!   :)
  • travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Thanks very much for both your replies! I did make it down to Southend and it was indeed lovely - even got some seals popping up to say hi. I never made it to Davaar Island but did check out the beaches and they were fabulous so thanks again Eilidh!

For the east coast Angela, I agree with you on Carradale. Seriously empty area and hard going in the car (god help bikers I should think) but it was great to get in on the act with the new Kintyre Gin and see what the castles were up to as well.

For general thoughts, it's a very remote and very isolated part of the country but is still full of interest. History packed and with whisky, gin and golf to keep others amused it deserves to feature more in Scottish promotional activity. Gigha as well - what a fabulous little island! Write up to follow over on the blog.

Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.