Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Public Transportation

My friend and I will arrive in Edinburgh September 5, and will be in Scotland for 2 weeks. We considered renting a car but neither of us really want the responsibility of driving since we are from the US and not used to driving on the left.   We are looking at train pass, and bus travel. What I am wanting to know is how hard is to get around on public transportation? Is it expensive? Will we be able to access most places in the country with public transportation? We want to see as much of Scotland as possible, this is a dream trip for both of us.

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @GardenHag yes it is possible to see a lot of the country by public transport as I've done so myself. However, it does get a bit difficult to do so especially in the more remote areas of the country. The most important skill to make the most of your Scotland travel by public transport is timetable awareness as choices are infrequent in remote areas.

Important links:
    I'd love to help you come up with an itinerary tailored for you, what are your must-sees for Scotland? I have my own favourite 1 week plan documented in this blogpost.

For train pass, I personally wouldn't bother as I have described in this thread as it is needlessly expensive, buying a ticket at the station or even on the train is simple & painless and takes a couple of minutes. For 2 weeks of public transport travel, I would budget around £150 per person tops. You can save some money by buying Advance train tickets for the longer train journeys.

Unfortunately it is not possible to see most of Scotland in 2 weeks, I have spent 3 months going to different parts of the country and I still have some parts yet to see. But you can most definitely see some of the very best parts in 2 weeks.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• GardenHagGardenHag Member
    Thank you @ Horizons! I did read your blogpost on the Best of Scotland in a week. Lots of good information in that post, and some ideas we hadn't thought about. We are also planning to take the ferry over to Ireland, just for a night or two while we are so close.