Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

STICKY: Welcome to the community!

12345679»

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Lottes, Sie sind Herzlich Wilkommen in Schottland! Wenn Ich Ihren fragen beantworten kann, sag mir bitte bescheid.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • rbthuntr2rbthuntr2 Member
    Hello all,  My name is Dennis and I live in Missouri, U.S.A.  I will be visiting Ft. Augustus in early July for a week.  We are staying in a Homeaway right on the River Oich, just upstream from Loch Ness.  I want to fly fish.  I have found out that The Glendoe Estate controls that section of river.  I even have a name and phone number for the contact person but have had no luck reaching them.  Does anybody have an e-mail address for Glendoe Estate?  I can't find one.  Any help would be appreciated, it's getting close to our trip.  Thanks  Dennis
  • apetitdeuxapetitdeux Member ✭✭
    Hello all, my name is Antoine and I live near Lyons, in France, with my wife and three kids (6y, 3y, and 4months).
    We are coming to visit Scotland from August 8th to 19th, we'll stay for 4 nights on Mull island, then 2 nights on Gigha island, and 3 nights near Stirling.
    We plan to relax, see nice landscapes and wildlife, and meet people.
    See you soon !
    edited June 11
    Hi @apetitdeux, I am sure you will love mainland Scotland and it's islands. If I can help you out in anyway then please let me know.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • AnnaBannanaAnnaBannana Member
    Hello!
    My name is Anna and I'm from Austria. Me and two friends want to visit Scotland from 30th of August to 7th of September. We already booked our flight. Now we need to book our hostels/hotels...and we need a car, because we wanted to travel around. We will stard in Edinburgh and then Glasgow and so on...
    At the moment I'm trying to find out were we can stay for the first night and which car we should rent.
    (Sorry for the bad english...) :-)
    Hi @AnnaBannana , Herzlich Willkommen to our community. Are you coming up to Pitlochry? My wife and I own a B&B in Pitlochry and maybe we have some availability. My wife is from Austria and I speak fluent German, after licing in Vienna for 14 years. Just let me know if you need anything or if you have questions about the area.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • How_D17How_D17 Member
    Hi, I´ll go to Scotland in August-September for three weeks. We´ve booked our cottages, but there are still some questions left. I´ve often been to England, but never to Scotland, so I´m still looking for some advice about where to go (we bring our dog) and what to do. 
  • philomene54philomene54 Member

Good morning,
    I am from Montréal , Québec, Canada, and I am searching since a very long time some information about a private boarding school that I visited in the year 1979-80 . I was very impressed bye the place and the people. It was a private elementary school attended by very rich people. This school (if it is still a school )locked like castel with black stones. It is situated on the north shore of the river somewhere between Culros and Aberdour (near Rosyth ).If you writ back to me I coul send you pictures. I would be very pleased if you ca help me.
    Thank you very much,
    Marie Lapalme
    P.S Sorry for my poor english

fishypro said:
    Hi @apetitdeux, I am sure you will love mainland Scotland and it's islands. If I can help you out in anyway then please let me know.
    Thanks a lot ! It's been a while since your answer. I have been preparing our family holiday since then, and my programme is 2/3 complete.
    I still have some unanswered questions - any help will be appreciated:
    1. Is there a way to get informations about producer's markets in Scotland? we are used to buying our veggies and fruits on outside producer's markets rather than supermarkets (there's at least a weekly market in most french villages, even the small ones) so we'd be glad to do the same on our trip
    2. I still haven't understood fully what Edinburgh Festival Fringe is about? I thought there were free day shows in the streets (like clowns and jugglers) but a few minutes on the festival's website made me feel like I had to book tickets in advance... I'm still a bit confused about it
    3. We'll be travelling Western Scotland and the islands with our kids so I often read about midges... what do you recommend to protect my little family?
    4. What would you recommend to meet local people? I've tried couchsurfing with no results yet since we already have all our accomodation... but it would be nice to meet local families on our trip, for a stroll, an hour in a kid's park, a meal outside or a cup of tea...
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give and greetings from France!
    @apetitdeux, to answer a few of your questions.....
    1. producer's markets are usually called farmers markets. Check out the webpage of the local towns & villages where you are staying and there should be information about these regarding times & dates.
    2. The Fringe festival is crazy. There are thousands of events to which you need tickets and there are also street entertainment that is generally there for your entertainment. Edinburgh is very very busy during this festival.
    3. Regarding the "Midges", there are several products that are available to protect yourselves with but there are 2 products that always crop up in conversation. These are "Smidge" & "Avon, Skin so Soft"
    4. Meeting local people isn't difficult. There are Pubs, cafes, playgrounds, supermarkets etc.
    Hope this helps you for now.
    Best regards
    fishypro
    Thanks a lot for these answers ! I feel like our day in Edinburgh will be very exciting and full of surprises ! Have a nice weekend !
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited August 2
    Hey everyone!!

I'm Liam and I'm a new-start modern apprentice here at VisitScotland, I'm a native of Edinburgh and have lived there all my days!  Let me know if you have any questions for me and I'll do my best to answer them! :smiley:
  • Nadege31Nadege31 Member
    edited August 24
    Hi all,
    I'm Nadege and my husband and I are coming to Soctland next august (2018) for our honeymoon. We're French, we live in Toulouse in South West of France, where the sun is always here! 
     We'll stay for 3 weeks and can't wait to have more infos, places to go, tips to enjoy the most our trip! We are going to do a road trip over Scotland so we're preparing a little early maybe :) 
    We already know that we are going to Glencoe beacause I bought a little plot for my husband for christmas so he's officially a Laird!
    Don't hesitate to come talk to me (us), we would like to have all infos, tips to help. 

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @Nadege31!  Check out these posts about road trips on the Communtiy here and here!
  • Caranderson1Caranderson1 Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much for adding me to the group.  I live and work in Argyll and am passionate about all things Scottish.  There's nothing I like better than being out and about photographing the beautiful wildlife and landscapes that surround us. 
  • spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    Hello everyone :)

I'm Sam, and I'm from York in Northern England.

I come up to Orkney every year with my family so I know a bit about it and about the Northern Highlands - but I'm also here to learn much more about Scotland. :)

@spoots Thanks for joining the Community!  I'm sure you'll learn a lot more about Scotland here!!
  • Hi !
    I am Laëtitia, living in France near Paris. I'm planning a 16 days solo road trip next October in the Highlands. I just can't wait to explore those amazing places and maybe find some hidden gems !
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited September 19
    Hi @LaëtitiaF34 - welcome to the community! We are currently working on a few threads about hidden gems throughout the country so hopefully these will be useful for you in your planning!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • Hello, girls and boys! :)

I'm starting this community experience and i'm in love with Scotland long, long time ago. So i have no excuse to visit the country in the future xDD I'm from Spain and if there's somebody interested to get in touch with me and share my Scottish passion you can do it! ;)

Tapadh leibh!!