Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

I am very confused as to the best way to travel to the locations of my interest and to accommodation

Hi,

My family is going to London next week but I want to stay over a couple of days to finally get to see your beautiful country.

However, I am very confused as to the best way to travel to the locations of my interest and to accommodations close to public transportation
since I will be walking with luggage.

What is the best way to get from London on July 16th to arrive in Edinburgh, locate the nearby hotel (to which station), drop off my luggage and try to get 
to the Castle or the National Museum before close? Both of these wonderful sites must be seen before I have to leave Edinburgh. My flight back to the USA
leaves from Glascow airport about Noon on Tuesday, July 18. Will I need to find accommodations in Glascow on the 17th or can I get public transport from 
Edinburgh directly to Glascow airport 3 hours prior to my departure?

Oh my!  I hope you can help in some way as I do want to visit Edinburgh but very uncertain how to do so.

Thank you for any help.

Regards,
Kateri Walsh

Answers

• fishyprofishypro ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    There is a train from London to Edinburgh, one of which is called the Caledonia Sleeper which is an overnight train and I can recommend this as a way of reaching Edinburgh. The train is from Kings Cross station to Waverley Bridge in the center of Edinburgh. There are lots of Hotels in walking distance of Waverley. Just check out Google. Motel One is a cool hotel 2 minute walk away from the train.
    I don't know about connections to Glasgow from Edinburgh. You could check Scotrail webpage.
    I would personally stay in Glasgow close to the airport if I could.
    Good luck with everything.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • HorizonsHorizons ✭✭✭✭ Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Kateri,

There is no reason to be worried, public transport in the UK is far superior to that in the US (I've lived there for a few years) and getting from London - Edinburgh - Glasgow should not be a problem. I would need a couple of additional data points from you to fine tune my answer below.

1. When is the earliest time you can fly / train out of London? Can early morning on the 16th or late at night on the 15th work?
    2. It takes 1.5 hours to reach Glasgow Airport from Edinburgh so if you leave around 7:30 AM on the 18th, you'll comfortably reach by 9 AM (your target time).

I personally would take the 9:55 PM flight from London Gatwick on the night of the 15th (fairly affordable price point ATM). The earliest train on a Sunday reaches Edinburgh around 1 PM which I think is a bit late for the precious 2 days you have to spend in Scotland.

You can buy train tickets are the station on 18th morning itself without need to buy online. Similarly, you can get the express bus from Edinburgh Airport to the city centre (close to both the Castle & the National Museum). I suggest you book a Royal Mile hotel.

Finally, my unsolicited opinion is that if you plan to visit the British Museum in London, you should spend lesser time at the National Museum of Scotland. The latter is much smaller and I'd spend some time reading up on the unique exhibits & seeing them before nipping out to see more of Scotland. Though I am not a big fan of day yours, I highly recommend gettting on a 1-day Highland tour on the 17th to get a taste of the real Scotland, the Highlands are simply incredible even to drive through and you get to see Glencoe and Loch Ness with your own eyes. Hope this helps.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    I agree with the flying suggestion - get the tram or bus from the airport into the city. Don't bother with the train - the sleeper is expensive and not good for sleeping on! 

A day trip out of Glasgow or Edinburgh into the highlands is most definitely a good way to see the 'real' Scotland and not just another city... although Edinburgh is brilliant to visit, there's more to scotland than the buildings a city offers :-)
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk