Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Edinburgh Festivals great food

VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited August 2016 in Eating and drinking
It's a funny thing but many people seem to forget to eat when they are off enjoying twenty festival shows in one day. Enjoying the festival atmosphere is essential but so are carbohydrates and... well... I'm sure there are other important nutrients like...em... :/ ...sugar... wine... fruit?

Recommendations for wonderful food pit-stops on your festival journey can be a lifesaver. During festival month it can be tricky to find restaurants and cafes with free tables, so eating on the run is sometimes your only option.

The street food vans around George Square Fringe venue are definite lifesavers during the festival and perfect for a quick stop with some great-quality food, fresh and tasty and not too expensive. 

I know plenty of people who swear by The Baked Potato Shop in Cockburn Street for their tattie fix especially vegetarian festival-goers.

Has anyone discovered any wee foodie gems while they are out and about at the festivals?

Comments

• ChelseaChelsea Member ✭✭
    Right in the heart of Edinburgh Festival land (Lauriston Place) is a cool little place called Tupiniquim.  Edinburgh’s Brazil-in-a-Box serving sweet and savoury (gluten free) crepes - it's usually packed and you have to wait a little while as they are cooked fresh to order - but 'my oh my' they are good. Perfect for a little pit stop between shows and drinks!

The tiny little venue also acts as a Cinema, a Concert Hall and a Puppet Theatre!

• I can certainly vouch for the dumpling cart in the Assembly area of the festival. £3 for 6 dumplings with a delicious dipping sauce. All vegan but will satisfy meat lovers too!

Second to that, the Thai food truck in Assembly is great as well, and so is the falafel stand at Pleasance. Hope that helps!
  • VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I've just stumbled across this guide by Gluten Free Edinburgh to a gluten free Edinburgh Fringe - it's packed full of options of places to eat!
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Wings (Old Fishmarket Close). Always.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • EdinBloggerEdinBlogger VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    We usually swing by The Original Mosque Kitchen during the Festival, it's quick, great value and really tasty! 
    Gary Wood - Blogger at EdinBraw - The Best of Edinburgh
    Passionate about Edinburgh's food and festival scene and slowly starting to explore Scotland. 
    Find me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook