Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

most stress-free way to drive from Cairnryan to Gardenstown (Aberdeenshire)?

Hi everybody, I am looking for a little reassurance and some practical advice. Coming to Scotland from Ireland in 3 weeks time for 2 weeks holiday with husband and 2 daughters, and very much looking forward to it except for the first long day of driving! I am the sole driver as my husband is partially sighted, and I am normally perfectly competent and confident, but I find myself a bit angsty about this trip, partly because it's my first time driving onto a large ferry, and partly because on a recent trip to Belfast I had a slight scrape on a roundabout and am now a touch nervy about unfamiliar road layouts. To relieve some of the stress we are planning to break the journey overnight, maybe around Perth. I would greatly appreciate any insight anyone might have on the best route (motorway or secondary?), any nasty bits that I should go out of my way to avoid, and indeed where might be a good halfway point to stop (at the moment I'm thinking Travelodge in Perth, but open to suggestions). (The reason for taking on such a long drive, by the way, is that I worked for a while in Aberdeen and Inverness -  I didn't drive at the time-and have friends up there- second week will be in North Berwick near another old friend.  But I should be used to the driving by then!). Many thanks in advance for any help.

Best Answer

Answers

• El_EEl_E Member
    Thanks Muriel, seeing it like that does make it look easy (actually we drove that way when I moved to Aberdeen 13 years ago but it wasn't me driving!). I'm half thinking that we might stick to the main road the first day and then go cross-country from Perth... but then again the coast road through Stonehaven and past Dunottar is really nice so we might just keep it simple. I will be fine I think, once I get over the ferry bit! Thanks again. Can't wait for my kids' first experience of Scotland, my husband and I already love it (we got married in Aberdeenshire).