Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Oban, Mull & Iona stays

We are planning a tour of Oban, Mull & Iona in 2018. How long does it take to drive from Tobermory to the ferry to sail to Iona & how long would you suggest to stay in Oban 1 or 2 days? Thank you.

Best Answers

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @lesleyk_47 and welcome to the community! :)

The ferry to Iona departs from the village of Fionnphort at the opposite end of the island from Tobermory.  The distance is around 56 miles /90 km and I would leave at least 1 hour and 45 minutes to get there.  

Oban is quite a small town famously known as the 'Gateway to the Isles' and is a fantastic town to sample some of Scotland's finest seafood.  You could easily spend the day in Oban exploring McCaigs Folly, Oban Distillery and the ruins of Dunollie Castle.  Oban Sealife Sanctury is also nearby where you can find out about the local sealife.   Oban is also a great base for exploring the wider area so you could definitely base yourself there for one or two days.   Have a look at this section of our website - it may be useful in helping you plan your holiday.  :)

The west coast of Scotland is truly beautiful and I'm sure you will have a fantastic time exploring Oban as well as the isle of Mull and Iona.  I'm also sure you will get lots more advice from others on the community to help you plan a fantastic visit. :)
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hey @lesleyk_47 I'd personally stay for longer in Mull and probably just a night in Oban unless you want to visit other spots with Oban as a base. You can consider making Craignure your Mull base, it is the main ferry terminal with regular Oban ferries, close to Duart castle and is exactly halfway between Tobermory and Fionnphort. Lastly do not miss making a daytrip to Staffa, the #1 place to visit in Scotland in my opinion.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)