Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

First time visiting Scotland in June 2018; Planning Ahead; Need Help

Hi There,

I'm currently planning a trip to Scotland for around this time next year and I really do not know where to start. I have been looking at some places to stay on Air B'N'B but its just that; looking. I'll be travelling from NYC....a l o n e.... (yup that's right, going exploring solo) and I really would like to know what are the best places to see/stay. I'd like to see multiple places; be in the town some days and the country some others. I do not mind renting a car to drive me where I need to go and I also do not mind taking buses, trains etc. I am also open to renting an entire home or staying in B&B's. One thing that's important to be is being able to sit under the stars at night. <3 Not camping though...because bugs...and I'm a bit of a scaredy cat:| There are so many options when it comes to visiting Scotland and although I am doing my research , I still figured it would be nice to hear from locals and others who have been there on what is best to do.

So advise away.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Hey @AshB, before I give any advice, I'd like to know how many days you plan to spend in Scotland (minimum suggested is a week, a month is nice to have). Driving is definitely the way to see the country as the public transport thins out in the rural regions a lot (it's possible to use public transport, I've done it, just difficult)

My advice at this time would be to keep mapping places you'd like to see. If you like stargazing, it'd be better to visit before the long summer days hit because you hardly get pitch darkness in the middle of summer (Galloway Dark Sky park is an obvious destination for you).

I have a blogpost on a tried & tested 1 week itinerary across Scotland. There are also these VisitScotland itineraries for inspiration. I recommend using the VisitScotland trip planner to create your very own itinerary. And you can ask any specific questions at any point!

We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • AshBAshB Member
    @Horizons Thank you so much for replying. I will be in Scotland for about a week. One place I was interested in staying is Creiff because I found a beautiful home there. Your blog seems to cover a variety of topics. I'm checking it out as we speak and I'll let you know if I have any other unanswered questions.