Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Best backpacker campsites in Scotland

HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Camping and Caravanning
Yesterday, I took some time to list out all the campsites that I've been to using just public transport and pick the top 5 across Scotland. I'd love for this thread to be populated with campsites / wild camps used by backpackers not too far from transportation.

All of my favourite campsites (some pics in a different thread)
  • Sligachan, Skye
  • Any Arisaig campsite (pictured below)
  • Luss Camping & Caravaning site
  • Ardgualich campsite, Loch Tummel
  • Walled gardens campsite, Maybole
  • Uig bay, Skye
  • Port Mor, Islay
  • Aberlour gardens, Speyside
  • Spey bridge, Newtonmore

What are your favourite campsites as a backpacker that are close to public transport options?
We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week (fully by public transport)

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭✭
    We also wrote a beginner's guide to how to get into camping as we got into it only after moving to Scotland. It describes the lessons learnt camping around Scotland & the cheap-ish gear that we bought plus pictures from Scottish campsites. Hope it helps others who want to try learning this life skill in probably the best country in the world to do so.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week (fully by public transport)

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • EwanEwan VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    If you're happy to camp away from formal sites and facilities then you can legally wild camp almost anywhere in Scotland - but make sure you follow the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.  Just pack lightweight gear (including waterproofs and a midgie hood!), camp and hike responsibly, and you'll experience Scotland at its best.

There are many long-distance trails and other walking routes that have public transport at either end, so why not do a through route?  Good options include the Great Glen Way, Arran Coastal Route, Rob Roy Way and the drover's roads from Blair Atholl up Glen Tilt towards Aviemore.  The West Highland Way is the best known long distance trail but also the busiest.  When I was in my teens I backpacked from Torridon around the coast to Badachro.  We stayed at a remote youth hostel at Craig (now a bothy) and ate mussels from the beach in candlelight (no electricity).  

Exploring Scotland's wild places by foot, bike and camper van

WildaboutScotland blog | Twitter