Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Where to buy a wax cloth jacket cheap/ second hand near Fort William

Hello everuybody! I'm coming to Scotland with me brother and my 2 kids and I have one aim: I WANT to get a wax cloth jacket. Had one decades ago, hate things with something-tex in them (plastic + no good, when the tex-thingy is finito) -> I read, that there was a second hand shop specializing in outdoors equipment, but I can't find that line in my traveller's guide any more :D -> is there? Where to get a öljykangastakki, wax cloth jacket/ waxed cotton jacket, female, size 42 UK14). :D :)

Alsogoodhiking boots would be nice.

We'll come via Ebingurg to near Fort William next monday.

Kiitoksin, many thanks, :) Sirpa Nieminen

Answers

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Finnish_fr1end and welcome to the community!
    If you are looking for a waxed cotton jacket and you are passing through Edinburgh, I would recommend the Barbour shop on Frederick Street or Orvis on Hope Street near Charlotte Square. I think that it's best to buy such an item of clothing new as, with proper care, it will last a very long time indeed. Also I think you would have to be extremely lucky to find a second hand jacket in your size given that waxed cotton jackets are not as popular as they used to be. I don't really know what's available in Fort William although I'm sure there are lots of outdoor shops there.
    Have a lovely time in Scotland and pop in to the local iCentre if you need advice from the experts!  :)