Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Scotland in October

Hi I am hoping to come back to Scotland in mid September to late October.  I am planning on going to Lewis/Harris, Skye and Orkney plus whatever else I can fit in.  I will be by myself and driving a hire car.  What I need to know is do the castles etc. close down in October?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]
  • bronnybronny ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    Hi, im doing the same trip! I land the 12th Sept and leave 20th October. Also i have hired a car to travel around. I have done heaps of research and was disappointed that the digs on Orkney will be covered in that time :( But all other attractions will be available. I have so many things planned that i'm scared i will be continually on the move..lol. I also got the 7 days over 14 access to Historical Scotland sites ,as i'm from Australia i bought on line. I have also joined the national trust here which will give reciprocal rights to trust properties in Britain. Look for interesting things off the normal touristy itineraries...there are heaps if you look. Good luck...you never know , we might pass paths :)
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel ✩ Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @pittypat
    As a general rule most seasonal places close down at the end of October so you should be all right - of course checking them individually will ensure that you are not disappointed!! :)  
  • GardenHagGardenHag Member
    I'm from Texas, and planning a trip to Scotland in October. I plan to stay 15 days. I'm a little scared to drive myself because of the left right thing, but I plan to give it a try.
    One of the things  I'd really like to see while in Scotland are the Kelpie sculptures, also very interested in ancient Scotland. Orkney and the Shetlands are on my bucket list.
    This is my first trip out of the USA, I'm counting on it being the trip of a lifetime.
  • paulcamppaulcamp Member
    Heading over in October, whats the weather like generally?