Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Returning to Scotland after 7 years!

Hi everyone! My name is Caitlin. I'm originally from Edinburgh but moved to New Zealand in 2006 (age 11). The last time I was in Scotland was Christmas 2009. My Mum and I are finally returning for 7 weeks to kind of be tourists in our own country again. Late July - mid September.

For me this trip is a kind of get back in touch with my roots type thing - I feel more Kiwi than a Scot these days but my identity as a Scottish person is really important to me. I'd love to experience as much of Scotland as I can in those 7 weeks. We are hiring a car so can go anywhere. 

So what's changed since 2009? We'd really like to experience a lot of the tourist attractions (can you believe I've never been to Edinburgh Castle?), and travel around Scotland - check out all the scenery. We have the Wild Guide Scotland book that we will be working from, but if anyone has any must go to places then I'd love to know about it. We'll be catching up with a lot of family so we can't do everything! Also, if anyone has any knowledge on good places to go snorkelling that would be cool!

Thanks!

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Member
    I just returned home after 10 years with my family. It was last summer for a vacation of 4 weeks. I left when I was 26 years old, and returned at the age of 36 with 2 kids and my wife. A lot and a little had changed. I would recommend Edinburgh area while the "Fringe" is on. It was a great way to see a city at its peak. I always used to avoid it at this time due to it being busy, but as a tourist it was fantastic. Go Dolphin watching at low tide from the lighthouse at Chanonry point, don't pay a tour guide. Just go yourself. Visit the Western Isles and Glencoe. Take it all in. If you like quick hikes then most of the Ski hills are open for Chair access to easily walk to a few peaks. I loved it all. We had a great trip and our kids loved it. It was so good we are going back again this summer for 5 weeks. We intend to spend more time in the Outer Hebrides this stay and some time in Fife. Book your Ferries in advance. 
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    The National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh has had extensive refurbishment so it is worth checking it out. The museum also recently added ten new galleries.

https://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/national-museum-of-scotland-p246591