Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Visiting from the US

My adult daughter and I would like to visit Scotland in December right before Christmas but I'm not sure how practical this will be. Any suggestions on places to visit, whether we'll be able to drive/navigate or should hire a driver/ride, etc. would be very much appreciated! Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @divin_ln, If you stick to the cities then everything will be open. When you venture towards the countryside, highlands etc you may find that most of the tourist hotspots are closed.
    Where do you intend to travel to and where will you stay? When we have this information then we can point you in the right direction.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @divin_ln we have some lovely festivals in the lead up to Christmas in a few of our main cities - with lots of markets, mulled wine and cider, hot food and a generally lovely atmosphere. The winter weather doesn't seem too bad when you're making the most of all the festivities, it's actually quite magical! If you train further north you *might* be lucky enough to spot some snow as well :)
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram