Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

camper van possiblitly

Has anyone traveled Scotland with a camper van? I was looking at that as a possibility--our other option would be to rent a car and stay at B&B's. Wondering how easy they are to drive and how easy it is to find camping places. 

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    A camper van would give you more freedom as you don't have to stay in a campsite overnight. You can pretty much stop anywhere you like overnight in Scotland as long as you leave the place tidy and as you found it - the only restriction to that is in the Loch Lomond and Trossachs area from this summer where you need to buy a permit I think. Please find a link to camper van hire in Scotland from VisitScotland website. You can of course stay the night at campsites to use the facilities for example - there are plenty around. Never having driven a camper van myself I cannot comment on how easy they are to drive - probably easier than towing a caravan I would say. Have a lovely time holidaying in Scotland!  :)
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    You see lots of them on the road so I guess they can't be that difficult to drive. Just be aware that some of our more rural roads can be very narrow and some of them are single track with passing places. Make sure you obey any 'No Overnight Camping' signs as the rules for wild camping in a motor vehicle differ from camping when on foot.
  • Is there a list of places where one can empty a motorhome loo, and top up with water, without the cost of staying in a campsite? My motorhome is totally self-contained, with solar power etc., but every 6 days we need a 'service stop'. 
  • Johnny5Johnny5 Member ✭✭
    Waterboatman. Those type of `service stops` aren`t something I`ve ever heard of.
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    I've seen them in Canada but I'm not aware of any in Scotland...other than in a campsite. Perhaps one night in a campsite would be worth the worry of having to find somewhere to 'service' your van. 
  • geodamegeodame Member
    Did you end up  traveling via camper van? We are debating a campervan/motorhome or B&B's. I don't like the cost and think you can do it cheaper without  one but we will have a 9 and 2.5 year children with us. I do like the idea of renting one after our Edinburgh visit so our toddler can have some consistency as we travel for almost a month in Scotland and Ireland.  So my questions are:
    1)Is a 4 berth motorvan to big for the roads in Scotland and Ireland for someone who is not accustomed to driving them?  
    2) Any comments on Bunk Camper Company? (they allow you to take their rentals via ferry to Ireland and drop off in Dublin). 
    3) Any other thoughts on this? Fine to call this crazy and say don't do it!