Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Hiring a van and sleeping in it?

cbb91cbb91 Member ✭✭
Visiting Scotland again in July and as the price of hotels are dearer and most are sold out already I was planning on maybe hireing a van (pic attached) putting a rug or piece of carpet down to protect the floor and putting in an inflatable mattress and sleeping bag, rather than pitching a tent and taking it down every night in a new place. 

As wild camping is legal in Scotland would this be ok to do? 

Could I offer to pay for shower facilities at a camp site? 

Anything else I'm not thinking about? 

Comments

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @cbb91 and welcome to the community! :)

Wild camping is a great way to explore Scotland and it gives you the freedom to stay in the perfect spot!  Access rights in Scotland do not extend to motorised vehicles so wild camping rules change throughout the country depending on who owns the land. The  Scottish Outdoor Access Code applies to non-motorised access to land, I think if you follow the general rules for being a responsible camper you should have a great experience! 
    Although wild camping is fine in most parts of Scotland, if you are visiting Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park you may require a permit to wild camp, depending on where you stay.  You can find out more information about he wild camping byelaws for Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park here.

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    You could hire a camper van ;-)
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • cbb91cbb91 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for this info! I would hire a camper van however they are £1000+ where the vans are around £350
  • RaceMedicRaceMedic Member
    Look at AirBnB ... I am booking them for about $100 CDN