Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Planning a trip -- need help.

I need help planning my Scotland holiday.  After spending 9 nights in England (London, York, Newcastle), we will be heading into Scotland towards the last week in July.  I should mention that I am traveling with my two adventurous Harry Potter fangirls (ages 14 and 11).

Planning on taking a train to Glasgow from Newcastle.  Stay one night in Glasgow to check out the city.  
Any recommendations on where to stay as we will be arriving via train and using public transport?  What to see or do here?

Then plan to take the train up to the Highlands.  I have 3 or 4 nights to play with and need to know where I should stay to see/do the following:  
Ride The Jacobite Train; Loch Ness/Urquhart Castle; Culloden Battlefield?; Ben Nevis?; and see highland cows.  We are very open to suggestions/recommendations in this area that my girls will enjoy.  I am open to possibly hiring a car if its better to have one in this area, although I'm a bit nervous of driving on the other side of the road.  

Then we end the trip with 2 nights in Edinburgh as we fly home from here.  We were in Edinburgh last year and saw most of this area.  But my girls LOVED it so much that they want to stay here again.  

Thanks so much for any help!

Answers

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @konajo, if you are thinking of travelling on the Jacobite Steam Train (Hogwarts Express) then book now because this fills up very quickly. I have already checked the availability for you in the last week of July and there are very few seats left. Book now!!
    I would really recommend a hire car because there are so many things that are not possible to see & do when using the public transport. Even if it means driving on the so-called wrong side.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • konajokonajo Member
    Okay will do, thank you!  Will also look into the car hire.  Noticed how I said the "other side", not the "wrong side", lol. 
  • konajokonajo Member
    @fishypro, do you recommend picking up car in Glasgow and dropping off in Edinburgh?  Or alternatively, taking train from Glasgow to somewhere like Pitlochry or Stirling, picking up and dropping off there.  Then train to Edinburgh.  To avoid traffic in the big cities?    Also, what is a good reasonable car hire company to use?
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    There are more possibilities to hire cars in Edinburgh & Glasgow than in small towns in the highlands.
    Arnold clark is a good company, also try holidayautos.com.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • BreeBree Member
    We too are heading on a Scottish vacation late summer and our daughter is a Potterhead.  We are booked for the Jacobite train doing the Potter Experience.  We are also doing a border tour from Edinburgh with a tour company down to Alnwick Castle in Northumberland.  That is where they filmed the broomstick lesson scenes from Harry Potter and they give "broomstick flying lessons".  Might be a thought.