Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Riding on the beach

hi!  I'm planning a trip to the west Highlands in late September and wondered if anyone knew of riding stables which offer rides on a beach.  If not, suggestions of places which offer really scenic or different riding experiences would be most welcome. Thanks!

Best Answer

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @SuzieD!  There are lots of great trekking centres and stables in Scotland offering a range of different horse riding experiences.   Gairloch Trekking Centre offer horse and pony trekking along Red Point beach on the west coast of Scotland.  It's a truly beautiful area!  Also, have a look at Lunga Riding Stables at Craobh Haven (between Lochgilphead and Oban).  They offer  western style riding on American Qaurter and Appaloosa horses if you are looking for something a little different.     :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Answers

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @SuzieD

Although not a horse-rider myself, I'd love to experience the Scottish Equestrian Hotel - a five-star horse riding activity centre in Lanark. They offer complete riding holidays. You don't have to be a resident to take part in events and itineraries. I notice on their Facebook page, they have details of their regular events. One of them is a beach ride. B) You can hire a horse or bring your own. It might be another option for you.

• TapratomTapratom Member
    Coming to west coast next week and number one on my bucket list is to sit in a heavy horse. We will be going from loch london up to fort William. Any advice would be much appreciated.
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Tapratom and welcome to the community!

Blackstone Clydesdale in Ayrshire offer various trekking experiences with Clydesdale horses...perhaps this would be the closest trekking centre to Loch Lomond to use heavy horses? You can find out more information about the centre here.  I wonder if any other people on the community know of any other trekking centers which use heavy horses?