Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Please help me plan my week trip

Hi guys, I'm going to travel to London this August and take a full week trip to Scotland with my mom.
I want to see castles and nature (prefer lakes and mountains in highlands) and I heard there is a great tourist office in Scotland that offering you activities to do in every city. 

None of us like to travel by car more than an hour, and I'm not sure I want to deal with car renting. 

So I thought about 3 days at Edinburgh (taking suggestions from the tourist office + old city + festivals)
And from there I don't know what to do that's the options I heard about:
1. Glencoe sounds really pretty  - but is hard to get from Edinburgh by public transport.
2. Aberdeenshire - heard there are great castle trips. There are organized castle trips there? 
3. Another highlands place that is easily accessible and we can make a trip around and sleep there. 
4. Two days in Glasgow? not sure...Heard there are some great lakes around.

So what you guys think? Will be happy to hear any advice.
Thanks!

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @orhalimi,
    There is a great website offering day trips from Aberdeen. Check out the following link:
    http://bus1.co.uk/Aberdeen_Two_Castles_and_Views_Day_Tour-Dunnottar_Castle-Crathes_Castle-Drum_Castle-.html

Pitlochry is also a great place to visit. The town has great direct bus & train connections from Edinburgh.
    Blair Castle is one train stop followed by a short walk away.
    Loch Faskally and the famous Salmon Ladder is right on our doorstep with great views across the Loch to the mountains.
    We have the Festival Theatre for daytime & evening performances.
    Pitlochry has so much to offer.

Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @orhalimi
    Glencoe is very dramatic and definately worth seeing but it's a few hours away from Edinburgh or Glasgow. You can take a Scottish Citylink bus there - there are several per day. You could also consider taking a train from Glasgow to Fort William - The West Highland Line has been voted one of the most scenic train journeys in the world!! If you are leaving from Edinburgh, you need to change trains in Glasgow at Queen Street station. It is very easy. 
    Loch Lomond is very close to Glasgow and is part of the Trossachs and Loch Lomond National Park, an area of outstanding beauty. From Glasgow, the easiest way is to get a train to Balloch on the south side of the Loch. From there you can do boat trips and walk around.
    I agree with @fishypro Pitlochry is a beautiful Highland town, only 2 hours from Edinburgh and there is a lot to see and do there.
    When in Edinburgh, please come to the iCentre on Princes Street - staff will be happy to help with your queries and book a tour if you wish to choose this option. There are many companies and tours to choose from. Also please remember that August is an extremely busy month in Edinburgh in particular so I would recommend you book your accommodation in advance. You can do so on VisitScotland website. Happy holidays!!  :)
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Aberdeenshire is definitely worth a visit, as is Glencoe. Some say there are companies that can help you develop a bespoke itinerary and then deliver that with cars and drivers...
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk