Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Train from Gatwick to Edinburgh

We have plane tickets (2 adults and 2 children) into Gatwick from the US. The flight is scheduled to land early morning. Do I buy train tickets in advance or roll the dice? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Ali

Comments

• VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @ AliBe. Yes, I would advise buying your train tickets in advance; this also means cheaper fares! B) You can book on the Train line website.

I hope this helps!  :)
  • AliBeAliBe Member
    Thanks.

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @AliBe just a word of caution, there are no direct trains from Gatwick to Edinburgh and the train journey (Gatwick - Victoria - Kings Cross - Edinburgh) will take 6 hours atleast.

Have you checked EasyJet flights from LGW to EDI? The fares are quite reasonable on that route (£35.99 pp) and there are many flights a day.

If you will buy train tickets do not buy a ticket end to end from Gatwick to Edinburgh, you'll most likely see a ridiculously high fare (£100+ pp). Do not buy the ticket on the train either to avoid paying the said fare. Use the train line app as mentioned above to buy tickets for a comfortable time after arrival as the cheapest tickets are non-refundable and only valid for a fixed train. More details here.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)