Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

from glasgow to oban via stirling, what road should I take?

Hi,
With my familly, we'll be leaving Glasgow in the morning to visit Stirling castle. Afterward, we plan to follow our journey to Oban in which I plan to visit the following day. So, in your opinion, what is the nicest road to take from Stirling to Oban and, in which area would you spend the night? 

Comments

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    After leaving Stirling,  this route through the Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park has some amazing scenery and you could perhaps break your journey in Killin.   There are plenty of places to stop and explore along the way:
    • Doune is a small village around 15 minutes from Stirling. If you fancy a visiting another castle,   Doune Castle is pretty amazing and was featured in Monty Python's The Holy Grail and Outlander.  Deanston Distillery is also nearby. 
    • The Bracklinn Falls near Callander are quite spectacular.
    • Meet Honey and Hamish Dubh - the friendly Highland Cows at The Trossachs Woollen Mill in Kilmahog.
    • Visit the gravestone of the famous outlaw Rob Roy MacGregor at Balqhuidder Kirkyard then drive along to the road to Loch Voil and enjoy the views from The Lookout -  a mirrored cabin on the banks of the Loch.
    • Enjoy the spectacular scenery as you travel through Glen Ogle to the village of Killin where you are greeted by the roar of the Falls of Dochart which tumble through the village.
    The drive from Stirling to Killin takes around one hour without stopping, although you could easily spend a leisurely afternoon exploring the area.  

If you have enough time, a detour via Aberfoyle and a drive over the Dukes Pass takes in some spectacular scenery, adding around an extra hour onto your journey.  The Lodge Visitor Centre at Aberfoyle is a fun place for children to explore and there is a magical walk up Doon Hill - the home of the faeries! :)

Also this section of the Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park website may also be of interest - there are lots of great family activities to enjoy in the National Park!

• froggy74froggy74 Member ✭✭
    wow, I had made a reservation near Arrochar cause I read in a book that Invararay, which is not far, is a place to see. guess I was wrong. We'll be leaving glasgow at 10 am to visit Stirling castle. guess I'll find a new place to stay near callender. The following day, the journey is to go to Glencoe via Oban. Just have to follow the shore.
  • Catriona_MCatriona_M Member ✭✭
    I`d spend the night at Crianlarich - as its about half way. Its a lovely village with B&Bs and a Best Western hotel.
    I`also add a visit to Kilchurn Castle, Dalmally enroute to Oban. It sits at the top of Loch Awe....mind your midgie spray!
  • argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    Inveraray is a charming town to visit.  A few hours there is sufficient though.