Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

65 year old planning a trip to visit ancestors locations

Hi
I am a 65-year old Canadian who has been researching his ancestry for the past 3 years.
I have traced my paternal line back through numerous families (Hart, Sinclair, Walker, McNeil, Gardiner, Orr, Chalmers, Waddle,
Steel, Pitkethly, MciLvredi, Sorlie, Hunter, Smyton, Lyon, Tran, Shearer, Peock) ........through locations including: Aidrie, Paisley, Muthill, 
Kirkintilloch, Abernethy, Inchture, Auchterarder, Perth
I'm hoping to visit for one month in the fall (Sept/Oct) 2017 and would like to rent a small one-bedroom cottage as a home-base from which
to visit these locations - to visit the graveyards, street addresses and see the towns....soak up the atmosphere...
Any advice/suggestions you have I am wide open....
cheers,
David Hart

Comments

• argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    Sounds like an exciting trip!  Wonderful you have towns and even addresses.  Will you be renting a car?  I'm sure you'll have no problem finding self-catering for a month.  No idea where the best base for you would be as your locations are spread out. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]
  • Catriona_MCatriona_M Member ✭✭
    Staying in Stirling would let you get to the places you have mentioned...Kirkintilloch and Airdrie toward Glasgow, whilst Muthill and Perth are north of the city...