Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Eastern Scotland...must see/do ideas

OK...people have been very helpful with the western part of Scotland. Now for the eastern part!

We spent one night in Pilotchry last year...such a charming town, and near one of my hubby's favorite whisky distilleries, Edradour.

Now asking for other ideas for the eastern part of the country

Best Answers

Answers

• MaicaKidMaicaKid Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your input! We did stop in Dunkeld last year and had lunch outside at the Royal Dunkeld Hotel. That area of the country is very beautiful (what part of Scotland isn't????? lol!) so taking more time would be good.
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    You should come to the Kingdom of Fife :) Lots to see and do. 

Here's a wee blog I did on celebrating the Year of History, Heritage and Archaeology on (a part of) the Fife Coastal Path :smile:
    https://johnmurrayjnr.wordpress.com/2017/01/22/celebrate-the-year-of-history-heritage-and-archaeology-on-the-fife-coastal-path/ 

• ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭✭
    As above - Fife! We are the Kingdom after all. As a native of Dunfermline can I recommend the ancient royal capital of the country, burial place and birthplace of Kings and Queens, with a number of fine museums and a beautiful public park. 
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    And a good view of the new bridge?
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • FurrybootsCityFurrybootsCity Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hello @MaicaKid

I would suggest the East Neuk of Fife for places to see on the eastern coast of Scotland! The sublime little fishing villages like Crail, Anstruther. Pittenweem and St Monans to name but a few have so much to offer:

https://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villages/crail-p239091

https://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villages/anstruther-p239041

Lots of independent shops and cafes in this part of Fife and the annual Pittenweem Arts Festival in August is an event I need to get myself along to soon! A fitting venue for the festival and many of the  delightful properties in the town double-up as arts venues for the festival week!

I am sure @Parsman would agree and some great places in Dunfermline area! @Parsman is a great ambassador and advocate for the Kingdom of Fife!

Also, lots on to see and do in the City of Dundee, the UK's first UNESCO City of Design! An abundance of attractions like the McManus Galleries- an art gallery and museum, along with the Dundee Contemporary Arts in the city's vibrant cultural quarter.  Verdant Works, Scotland's Jute Museum is a fascinating insight into Dundee's extensive industrial heritage and a great team of staff and volunteers on hand to help make the most of your visit! The High Mill extension is just superb and is due to host a selection of panels again this year in August from the magnificent Great Tapestry of Scotland. A must see!!!!!

With the V&A Museum of Design Dundee due to open in 2018, the city is buzzing and it is a city of energy and vibrancy with lots of creative energy and inspiration growing at the moment. So much so that in May 2017, the second-ever Dundee Design Festival takes place at West Ward Works, next to Verdant Works museum. The venue was the former printing works from DC Thomson, the creators of the famous Dundee Courier, The Beano, The Dandy comics and Oor Wullie. The festival has been extended to cover six days from 24-29th May and plans are full steam ahead to provide a bumper progamme of events. Keep a look out for further info and plans:

http://www.dundeecityofdesign.com/

http://www.dundeecityofdesign.com/dundee-design-festival-2017/

If you need any advice on the areas, VisitScotland has iCentres in Dundee's City Square, Arbroath's Harbour Visitor Centre and Perth on the city's High Street, the staff there are really helpful and can provide great advice on what to see in the East Coast of Scotland, and the rest of Scotland in general!

I hope you enjoy your travels across the east coast of Scotland. It really is a fantastic area and such a diverse range of things to see and do!
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    @MaicaKi, Check out the VS site for a map of a part of the East Coast. Have a look at number 1 and check out the Red Cliffs (Whiting Ness). This is a spectacular cliff top walk with an amazing mix of wildlife to be seen & found. Highly recommended. You may wish to pop up to the But n Benn for a great meal. My tip, try the sticky toffee pudding.... it is the best that you will find.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]
  • MaicaKidMaicaKid Member ✭✭
    Oh, we love your blog...we have two Westies!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Don't miss the coast road from Dundee up to Aberdeen!  There are stunning beaches at Lunan Bay and St Cyrus, history aplenty - Arbroath Abbey and Dunnottar Castle to name just two, dramatic cliffs, great bird watching spots, sea angling trips, and more golf courses than you can shake a club at!
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    The Fife Coastal Path is a must. From World Heritage sites to Hollywood filming locations, great food, quaint pubs, nature hotspots, picturesque scenery, distilleries, golf courses, beautiful villages.....need I go on?  

Breath in those coastal scents and experience Scotland at it's best :)