Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Looking for Ruins & Unusual Places

glaslynglaslyn Member
edited February 2017 in Touring and Road Trips
This will be my 4th visit to Scotland, and I'd really like to find some places I've been unable to find in the past. I'm a photographer and avid explorer, and I would like to find some ruins, hidden, and unusual places, e.g., ruined buildings, mines, abandoned places, and things like that. I'll have a car and will be staying in Glencoe for a week, then Stirling for one night. Thank you in advance for your recommendations!
Tagged:

Comments

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @glaslyn I've just had a phone call with a photographer based in Aberdeen, we are looking to do exactly what you're asking for this year! It's a shame you'll be on the 'wrong' side of the country ;-)

Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭✭
    If you are in Stirling think about Falkirk and the Antonine Wall, and Dunfermline and the ruins of the old Royal Palace. 
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Just a thought glaslyn, Kilchurn castle isn't a million miles from glencoe - worth the drive... and is a crumbling ruin! 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • If you're happy to travel about, there are some good suggestions on this blog piece on abandoned places.
  • Mcarthur7Mcarthur7 Member ✭✭
    My son and I enjoyed our visit to Bonawe Iron Furnace to the East of Glencoe
  • Mcarthur7Mcarthur7 Member ✭✭

Also a must do for us is Dunstaffnage Castle which is easy to get to from Glencoe.  Very photogenic!!
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @glaslyn Hi there you may like Castle Tioram in Ardnamurchan (can only be visited at low tide as it's on a tidal island) Castle Stalker by Appin (very close to Glencoe), there's also Kilchurn Castle on the shore of Loch Awe.  It's known for casting some pretty amazing reflections on the loch.  If you hop on the ferry across to Mull you'll find ruined clearance villages dotted around the island.  It's probably too far from your Glencoe base but Scotland's highest village Wanlockhead in Dumfries & Galloway has a really cool lead mine you can visit and in Edinburgh there are the mysterious Gilmerton Coves.  Hope this helps. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    Couple of gems are:
    Newark Castle, St Monans, Fife 

Or Lady's Tower in Elie, Fife