Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

5 days in Scotland - best route

I'll be traveling with my husband and 11 year-old son in June.  We plan to go to St. Andrew's and the Highland Games that are going to be near there, the Kelpies, and then go over to the Isle of Skye.  We'll be coming from London and returning near there after our time in Scotland.  Suggestions on route and order (Skye first or second) and any highlights along the way for an avid sports enthusiast are much appreciated.  I'm wondering if that too much to do in 5 days.

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    @kcl17, Do you have 5 days in Scotland or 5 days in total?
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • kcl17kcl17 Member
    5 days in Scotland is the plan, could possibly go to 6- thank you
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Are you driving to / from London? Asking only because it is one long drive from Skye to London :smile: (I'd rather fly / take a train to Glasgow). My opinion is that you should spend 2 days in Skye so thats Day 3 & 4. Also the order doesn't matter if you make a big circle.

Day 1 you can probably stay in Stirling (to start Day 2 seeing the castle) then drive through Perthshire (Dunkeld, Queens View, Pitlochry) and spend Night 2 in the Cairngorms NP. Then drive to Skye, spend Day 3, night 3 and most of day 4 here. Pre-book a sea kayaking experience in Arisaig (perfect for the sportsy type) and do it late Day 4 / early Day 5 and stay at Fort William. Visit Glencoe (possible night stay) and Loch Lomond on Day 5.

We write a travel blog where we have written about most of the places mentioned above: https://beyondourhorizons.wordpress.com/ VisitScotland too has a number of informative articles about them.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• kcl17kcl17 Member
    Thank you for your input, and I will check out your travel blog.
  • StefStef Member
    There will be 7 of us (5 adults & 2 teenage boys) travelling to Scotland in July. I have put together a preliminary itinerary and was wondering if I could get feedback on whether it is doable or if I am trying to fit to much in to our trip. Also, suggestions on where to stay would be appreciated.

Day 1 - Belfast to Glasgow

Either take the ferry from Belfast to Stranraer and then drive to Glasgow OR fly from Belfast to Glasgow. Not sure which is the better option.

Glasgow:

• City Chambers
    • George Square
    • Glasgow Cathedral
    • Necropolis
    • Glasgow University
    • Glasgow Cross

Spend the night in Glasgow. I read that staying on George Square is nice with all the buildings lit up at night. 

Day 2 - Glasgow to Oban

• Loch Lomond
    • Oban Distillery

Spend the night in Oban or go further?

Day 3 – Oban to Aviemore

• Ben Nevis
    • Loch Ness
    • Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition
    • Urquhart Castle
    • Blair Castle

Spend the night in Aviemore?

Day 4 – Aviemore to Edinburgh

Edinburgh:

• Royal Mile
    • Arthur’s Seat
    • Edinburgh Castle
    • Scottish Parliament
    • High Kirk of St. Giles
    • National Museum of Scotland
    • Calton Hill

Spend the night in Edinburgh

Day 5

Head to the Edinburgh airport to fly home

• Mcarthur7Mcarthur7 Member ✭✭
    You can save time and add another adventure by taking the night train (sleeper) from London to either Glasgow, Inverness, Edinburgh or Fort William.  Cars can be rented at any for trip to Skye but it is closer to both Inverness and Fort William.