Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Planning Our trip

Hey everyone, My daughter is going to be studying abroad in Stirling next fall and my wife and I,of course, will need to go visit her ( we are from the U.S. and have never been to Scotland). We will only be able to spend about 9-10 days there in late September early October and will most likely be flying into Edinburgh. We were planning on splitting our time between the Edinburgh/Stirling area and someplace in the Highlands. If you only had a few days to spend in Scotland, what are the things you would have to do? Thank you in advance.

Answers

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]
  • Tom_KTom_K Member
    Thank you for all of the suggestions. We will definitely check out your blog.
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @Tom_K, if you are interested in delving into Scotland's favourite tipple (whisky) then you can also consider spending your time in the Speyside area and the Cairngorms National Park. The area is not very far from Stirling and is full of both world-famous (Glenlivet, Glenfiddich) & not as famous (Craigellachie, Tomintoul) distilleries. And it is a beautiful area to visit.

That being said, I'd be remiss if I did not recommend staying in Skye for the duration of your Highland stay. For someone who has never seen Scotland before, visiting Skye makes it difficult for you to get your jaw off the floor. There is a reason so many people flock to Skye every year, it is like no place that you've seen before.

I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• frannyfranny Member
    Away from all the usual bucket-list locations, there's one I always recommend to first timers - Queen's View near Pitlochry. I'd say it's about 90 minutes away from Stirling up the A9 but certainly worth the drive. 

The view is truly breathtaking. Standing out at Queen's View, looking out for miles and miles, it's one of those moments that -once you've experienced it- stays with you forever. 

I don't think any picture really does it justice, but here's one to give you some idea. 

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Tom_K, this is a really difficult choice. I would definately pop up to the Pitlochry area as Perthshire is beautiful in the Autumn. Pitlochry hosts The Enchanted Forest which pulls in nearly 70,000 people to the area and is not to be missed. The accommodation is also lovely. I can recommend a few places in Pitlochry to stay but probably the best is Torrdarach House B&B
    The restaurants in town are also great, I recommend Fonab Castle, Knockendarroch & Victorias.

I would like to suggest other things but let me ask you this - What kind of things do you like doing?
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • Tom_KTom_K Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Our biggest problem is that we want to do everything! Definitely in to sampling some whisky. Isle of Skye is on top of our list. We would love to do some hiking and see some of the beautiful sites (Queen's View looks amazing). Should see a castle or two while we are there. If we have time we may be interested in heading down to Dumfries as my ancestors hail from that area. (I am a Kirkconnell). Appreciate all of your help. Thanks!