Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

2 days from Glasgow to SKY-which journey?

I 've 2 days to go from Glasgow to Mallaig and then take the ferry to SKY.
at first, I had the idea to go and visit stirling castle then go to the Loch Lomond and spend the night in Arrochar. (day 1)
day 2- inveraray-oban and night at Glencoe.
Day 3, I go to Mallaig in the morning and take the ferry

the thing is, after reading so many posts, I'm not so sure of the journey i should take. It seems that the Glencoe valley is beautiful. So, if I understood well, if I want to see it I have to take A82.
Doing so, I don't go to Inveraray and Oban. (is it worth it?) So, from Stirling, I can go to the Trossachs  and visit places around Callender and spend the night somewhere in the Trossach, Killin for instance (day 1).
Then, in day 2, I can drive to Glencoe but it will not take long since I wont spend time in Oban. We will arrive early then I don't know what we'll do since , with my 2 kids, we don't plan on hiking. The hotel is already reserved in Glencoe but I can Change that. Maybe we can go to Fort William and see what is to be seen, and spend the night there. This way, we could take a ferry earlier the following day and so, spend more time in SKY
My question is, is Oban worth a look or is it better to take a look at the Glencoe Valley. ? which journey will you take? By the Loch Lomond or By the Trossach?
My trip starts in 2 weeks and I haven't figure it out.
 If you could give me advices, that will help. :-)

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @froggy74 do your kids like Harry Potter or beaches? If so, I personally would pick staying at Oban for Night 1 (after visiting Stirling) and then staying at Glenfinnan / Arisaig / Morar for the second. I would hope the weather is nice because both are coastal stays and sunny days would enhance the beauty.

There is a steam train that runs from Fort William to Mallaig nicknamed the Harry Potter train because it actually was the train used in filming the famous scenes involving the same Scottish scenery that is seen in the movie. The big stone bridge is the Glenfinnan viaduct and the area is home to some expansive views. Not too far from Glenfinnan are the towns of Arisaig & Morar that have spectacular beaches (pictured below) that would be good to spend the night in as they have magical sunsets. The drawback is finding family friendly accommodation as these are quite rural areas (in which case Fort William makes sense). Hope this helps.

I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)