Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Calling all Nessie hunters!

VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
Did everyone see the big news yesterday? Nessie was found by a new underwater investigation... only she was a 30 foot model which sunk during the filming of 1970s film The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.

But, great news for Nessie hunters - the search is still on! Have you visited Loch Ness in search of our most loved resident? 

What's your best Nessie hunting tips?

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Once upon a time, in my youth, I went Nessie hunting in the middle of the night. I got up real close to the water's edge at Loch Ness and sat, and sat, and sat, and sat.......

What did I find?
    Nothing.
    Not a ripple.

Clearly, I should have brought some treats and nibbles for Nessie. That was my big mistake. Maybe next time.
  • I recently explored Drumnadrochit and Loch Ness, and was pleseantly surprised by SUN! (which is clearly a rarity in Scotland) 

I went on a boat trip and (not gonna lie) I was pretty scared! Although the water was really calm (perfect Nessie hunting conditions apparently) I did see ripples and a few possible sightings. She's out there people!

In all seriousness, it's a beautiful place and if you believe in the legend, even just a midge, you should definitely check it out - who's know what you might see! :wink:
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Loch Ness is very long (36.3km) and very deep (227m max depth) - so Nessie could be hiding anywhere!!... It's a nice legend anyway and very popular. It is the most popular day trip in Scotland and offers some amazing views on the way aside of the Loch itself (the Trossachs, Glencoe, Ben Nevis, the Great Glen and  Urqhuart castle on Loch Ness). It's better if you can do it over 2 days and spend more time in each place. Not so rushed! 
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    We tried Loch Morar for a change at the weekend in search of Nessie's sister Morag. Scotland's not so famous loch monster.  We cast the wee dug out into the water in a boat but no joy. No sign of Morag. Possibly away visiting Nessie in Loch Ness.  :D

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    @VisitScotlandNikki  Our own local legend Steve Feltham celebrated his 25th anniversary looking for Nessie from the shores of Dores beach yesterday. He'll also be on Steve Lamacq's show on 6 Music later today talking about his experience. I've met Steve a couple of times and he's a thoroughly nice bloke. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-36825152
    For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited April 3
    This is my #1 favourite Nessie spotting:

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram