Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

West Highland Way

I am a Canadian planning to walk the West Highland Way in late August/early September as a self-guided trek. I would however, like to connect with a one stop booking company to arrange an itinerary and accommodations. Has anyone had dealings with such a company that they would highly recommend?

Comments

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Hi, are you looking to camp or for b&b / hotel acccommodation? 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • Hi...looking for B&Bs, quaint inns, or hotels--places with humanity and character more than luxury. Thx.
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Walkswithwolves!

There are lots of companies that would be able to arrange accommodation for you along the West Highland Way and you can find them on this section of the West Highland Way website.  August and September are some of the most popular months for people to walk along the route so look into booking your accommodation as far in advance as possible.

If you decide to book your accommodation yourself, some people find it less busy when starting midweek, as most walkers tend to start at the weekend and arrive at the same destination each day which can make accommodation difficult to find in the smaller villages and hamlets.  

Along the banks of Loch Lomond there are certainly plenty of places to stay that fit your criteria:
    • The Oak Tree Inn at Balmaha lies at the bottom of the Conic Hill and is a welcome stop for food and perhaps a drink from the on-site micro brewery.  The building is quite cool and is made out of slate from a local quarry.
    • Rowardennan Lodge lies at the foot of Ben Lomond and was once an old hunting lodge.  
    • Inversnaid Bunkhouse is in an old church, full of character and has some amazing stained glass windows.
    • The Drovers Inn at Inverarnan is perhaps one of the quirkiest inns along the Way.
    I'm sure there are lots more accommodations that may take your fancy along the West Highland Way...I wonder if anyone else on the community would have more suggestions?  :)

• Thank you Angela--that will help get me started. I was wondering though if a community member, with first hand experience with a self-guide company, could make a specific recommendation or suggest a short-list?